Question Inspiron 13R N3010: 8 beeps and black screen on startup

davesp

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
Whenever I hit the power button there is a series of 8 beeps repeating itself. Green vertical lines are displayed over a dark screen (looks like this). Googling seems to indicate this is either an issue with the LCD panel or the GPU. I don't think it's the GPU because when I hook up the laptop to an external monitor, everything is displayed correctly (on the external monitor, the laptop screen stays black) and I can log in to Windows as usual.

What I did to try and resolve the issue:
  1. Run diagnostics by holding D while pressing the power button (if diagnostics were running, I couldn't see anything)
  2. Run diagnostics by holding fn while pressing the power button (same as above)
  3. Disconnect the AC adapter and battery and hold the power button for 15 seconds
  4. Same as above, but holding the power button for 30 seconds
  5. Disconnect and reconnect the screen cable and grounding screw connected to the mobo
This started happening after I disassembled the laptop to replace the HDD and RAM, and to repaste the CPU (followed this YT guide). Obviously I screwed up somewhere but not sure where and how to fix this.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS