Question Inspiron 15 5000, Forgets it has a battery

Apr 1, 2024
Hello all, I have one that has me a bit stumped. I sold a client a new Dell Inspiron 15 5000 back in June of 2021. She purchased it as a secondary computer and doesn't use it much. FF maybe a year or so I was onsite setting up a printer and the laptop would not turn on. I plugged it in and got it turned on and it claimed there was no battery. Odd?, she doesn't leave it plugged in or anything. I opened it up and reseated the battery. Problem solved, sees it, its charging great! FF about another year or so and I'm onsite and I go to fire up the laptop, User said she had it plugged in so it would be charged. I go to turn it on and nothing. I plug it in and boots "no battery detected" well that's interesting. She informed me that maybe she didn't shut it down last time and it was left on till it drained. Think that really shouldn't make it think its not there, but again she hardly uses it. So I took it apart and reseated it again and it works perfectly. charging up runs off battery. I did a bios update thinking maybe that would help solve the issue. I made sure she was actually shutting it down when finished. That was a few months ago. She messaged me the other day and says it wont hold a charge. My suspicion is it doesn't see the battery again.
Has anyone run into an issue like this before?

Lutfij

Titan
If the laptop was not regularly charged and discharge, then it's possible that the battery might've conked out. You can remove the entries in the Battery section in Device Manager, i.e, Right click Start>Device Manager>Batteries>Right click+Delete/Uninstall all entries there.

One other task you can do is disconnect the laptop's battery, then press and hold down the power button for 30secs and then reconnect the battery, then try and power the laptop up.