Inspiron 531s Low Profile GPU Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlemagne_3

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Looking to upgrade a Dell Inspiron 531s. It has 1 pci-e x16 1.0a slot. A low profile graphics card is necessary. The power supply is 300W. The CPU I am looking to put in is an Athlon 64 X2 6000+ at either 3.0ghz or 3.1ghz with an 89W power consumpiton. This computer will also have 4 sticks of pc2-6400 ddr2 ram.

Im not sure if the pci-e slot limits me, but I obviously dont want a card with high power consumpton. On tihs forum, I found this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102874&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=

The price is pretty much unbeatable for its power; it is rated 764 on passmark. The card says a 400W or greater power supply is recomended, but Im not sure if Im actually going to need this much. Ive seen studies say that card can use anywhere from 36 to 266 watts of power at various stree levels. 266 was very high, and likely wouldnt be subject to those conditions, as the test likely pushed the card to its limits. Im estimateing that the card may use around 200W perhaps?

Im not really sure about this, and what I mainly need help with is first knowing if this card will work in the pc, and if so, are there any other price and power comparable cards that are better? If this doesnt work, what would I want instead? Im trying to get good performance at a good price. Definitly no more that $100.

Thansk for reading.

Solution
It definitely would be less performance
stay away from 1650 power hog
the 4550 or 5450 would be better than that one
I went for a Sapphire OEM HD4650 1gb card low profile that I found on US Ebay for
$44 with shipping brand new.
OEM cards have same specs but dont have pretty boxes and useless games.
It came with dvi-vga adapter and driver disk
I always use latest drivers from online not disk that comes with it.
HD4650 was named best card for under $50 in December on Toms Graphics card review
Good for multimedia and light gaming
low power draw
You cant beat this for a price vs performance vs power consumption ratio.
In the feedbacks section it is said it fits perfect in Dell Inspiron 530s.
Also doesnt need power connector from PSU so only draws 75watts max (limitation of power from PCI-E slot)
Be better in games than the 5570
WAY faster memory it has GDDR5 vs the DDR3 in the 5570.
Also would OC nice.
Also recommended by Toms Hardware Guide in Januarys Graphics card reviews.

That link to the MSI is just one example of the 5670
there are others
I am partial to XFX and Sapphire myself.
Also when you were looking at power usage they usually show total system power draw at the wall from entire system.
most cards draw between 30 watts up to about a 100 or so by themselves.
Also Dell psus are famous for being under rated.
I have heard they are made by Forton and they are rated
at continous wattage not peak like other power supplies
I have a Dell Optiplex 745 with a 280w and it runs a overclocked Core2Duo and Overclocked HD4650 no problem 24/7

Charlemagne_3

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
If my client cannot afford the 60 dollar card i mentioned, what would you recommend for about 20-30? I have seen cards like the X1600/X1650 and other variants go for aroudn 25, and cards like the 4550 and 5450 as well. At half the price, can I expect about half the performance? Benchmarks ive seen seem to suggest that.

It definitely would be less performance
stay away from 1650 power hog
the 4550 or 5450 would be better than that one
I went for a Sapphire OEM HD4650 1gb card low profile that I found on US Ebay for
$44 with shipping brand new.
OEM cards have same specs but dont have pretty boxes and useless games.
It came with dvi-vga adapter and driver disk
I always use latest drivers from online not disk that comes with it.
HD4650 was named best card for under $50 in December on Toms Graphics card review
Good for multimedia and light gaming
low power draw

Solution

Charlemagne_3

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

thanks alot, this helps greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.