Inspiron 5575 vs Elitebook 840 G5

EliteBook or Inspiron

• EliteBook

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rigs

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a new laptop for school/business. I've narrowed my search down to two models, I'll mostly be using this for coding, web, movies, and maybe a little gaming.
https://www.newegg.com/silver-dell-...esigning/p/1TS-000A-04P26?Item=9SIAA0S96V9394
https://www.newegg.com/silver-hp-elitebook-840-g5/p/1TS-000D-05C23?Item=9SIAA0S9Y48695

The specs are very similar given a few obvious exceptions:
The HP has: 4K, Intel cpu/gpu, and lacks an NVMe drive.
The Dell has: 1080p, amd cpu/gpu, but comes with an NVMe drive.

Given the specs of the two laptops, which would you say is the better buy?
Do you have any other suggestions?

I've attached a poll just for the hell of it.

Seaweed Monster

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014
Regarding the HP:
PROS
  • Better portability
  • i5 8250u offers good overall performance

CONS
  • A 4K display in a 14-inch form factor is pretty pointless given the processor and your needs. This will ultimately reduce battery life and use more system resources to push the extra pixels. Also, gaming will require a dramatic degrade in resolution to at least 720p
  • Limited storage
  • Pretty poor gaming performance with the integrated UHD 620 graphics and unplayable at 4K

Regarding the Dell:
PROS
  • Great storage capacity
  • Pretty respectable gaming performance with the integrated RX Vega 10 graphics
  • Ryzen 7 2700U offers good overall performance
  • The 1080p display is better suited to the hardware capabilities

CONS:
  • i5-8250U is slightly better than the Ryzen 7 2700U
  • Slightly weightier and larger than the HP

If you're asking just out of the two, I'd go for the Dell. However, I personally think the 32GB's RAM may be slightly overkill for your needs, what kind of coding are you doing may I ask?

On the other hand, what is your budget so we can perhaps suggest others?

Rigs

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Thanks for your reply. I was looking to spend at least 700 with 1k as the ceiling. The coding will mostly be light c++, no crazy compiling.
On a side note, I really like the design of the silver elitebooks and inspirons which was the main driving force to find the best specs for each at the lowest costs. If you manage to find better specs at a similar price, I'd love to see them.