Question Inspiron 7567 Overheating

csaxon

Prominent
Jun 5, 2018
Hello,

I own a 1.5yr old DELL Inspiron 7567. Intel i7-7700HQ CPU, 1050ti GPU and 16GB RAM. Its has the OS on a 256GB M.2 drive, with a 1TB SSD storage drive.

I recently have been having BSOD with my laptop which is now fixed. However in fixing this the motherboard, fans and SSD was changed and a clean install was done.

Somewhere among this, my laptop fans started making a clicking/squeak noise when they started and stopped and the CPU would hit 100C under stress tests (It used to stay around 85C). This caused the graphic part of the stress test to drop its frame-rates below 20 FPS.

I tried many windows versions to see if this would help (1703, 1709, 1803, 1809, 1903 and 1909). Stress test and squeaking stayed the same.

I uninstalled the Dell thermal framework and the stress test was about 92C, but it still throttled and was still higher than what it used to be (Note: I have had no trouble with the thermal framework in the past).

I had the CPU fan replaced (as there was a buzzing noise coming from it) and the GPU fan replaced. The clicking noise has greatly decreased (can still hear it if i'm listening for it, but its not really loud like before). The stress test was improved in the graphic part of the stress test (FPS did not drop below 100), but the CPU part of the stress test still hit 96C and throttled. Changing the fan clearly did have some improvement, but did not fix the whole problem.

The only way I could stop this throttling was to undervolt the CPU to -.110V. I also undervolted the GPU by 0.05V just in case that helped. This has put the CPU stress test at about 85C with no throttling.

My problem is, I didn't have to undervolt before this and I fear that the undervolting is just masking the underlying issue. I am also currently running windows 10 1903 which is a more recent build. I don't know if this could raise the temps as ever since the clean install I am stuck with the chipset that windows update automatically installs. The driver from the DELL site says it installs, but when you restart the PC it is gone. I cannot even uninstall this new chipset as it does not appear under "programs and features" like the other intel drivers.

I do have a spare chassis, heatsink, fans and motherboard (note: the fans made the clicking noise with this motherboard as well), so I can replace them if anyone thinks this could be the issue.

DELL says they don't know the cause as its passing all the hardware tests, so I have no idea the origin of this change. Does anyone have an idea of the possible underlying cause?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hello,

I own a 1.5yr old DELL Inspiron 7567. Intel i7-7700HQ CPU, 1050ti GPU and 16GB RAM. Its has the OS on a 256GB M.2 drive, with a 1TB SSD storage drive.

I recently have been having BSOD with my laptop which is now fixed. However in fixing this the motherboard, fans and SSD was changed and a clean install was done.

Somewhere among this, my laptop fans started making a clicking/squeak noise when they started and stopped and the CPU would hit 100C under stress tests (It used to stay around 85C). This caused the graphic part of the stress test to drop its frame-rates below 20 FPS.

I tried many windows versions to see if this would help (1703, 1709, 1803, 1809, 1903 and 1909). Stress test and squeaking stayed the same.

I uninstalled the Dell thermal framework and the stress test was about 92C, but it still throttled and was still higher than what it used to be (Note: I have had no trouble with the thermal framework in the past).

I had the CPU fan replaced (as there was a buzzing noise coming from it) and the GPU fan replaced. The clicking noise has greatly decreased (can still hear it if i'm listening for it, but its not really loud like before). The stress test was improved in the graphic part of the stress test (FPS did not drop below 100), but the CPU part of the stress test still hit 96C and throttled. Changing the fan clearly did have some improvement, but did not fix the whole problem.

The only way I could stop this throttling was to undervolt the CPU to -.110V. I also undervolted the GPU by 0.05V just in case that helped. This has put the CPU stress test at about 85C with no throttling.

My problem is, I didn't have to undervolt before this and I fear that the undervolting is just masking the underlying issue. I am also currently running windows 10 1903 which is a more recent build. I don't know if this could raise the temps as ever since the clean install I am stuck with the chipset that windows update automatically installs. The driver from the DELL site says it installs, but when you restart the PC it is gone. I cannot even uninstall this new chipset as it does not appear under "programs and features" like the other intel drivers.

I do have a spare chassis, heatsink, fans and motherboard (note: the fans made the clicking noise with this motherboard as well), so I can replace them if anyone thinks this could be the issue.

DELL says they don't know the cause as its passing all the hardware tests, so I have no idea the origin of this change. Does anyone have an idea of the possible underlying cause?

Hi @csaxon,

If it's under warranty, send it back in and request new thermal solutions (paste &/or pads) be installed. If the thermal paste/pads that was installed at the factory was done in a "half-assed" manner, (say on a Friday afternoon at the Dell manufacturing plant 15 mins before quitting time lol..) you'll easily have thermal issues and replacing the fans won't help. (Much) If it's not under warranty, roll your sleeves up and do it yourself.

You see, much like a regular desktop your laptop will have a heat sink & fan over your GPU & CPU to help cool it, but unlike a desktop, a laptop has very limited room inside and so it's especially important that the cooling solution inside is up to snuff, because as you know, H.E.A.T is the bane of all electronics.

Also, since your fans seem to be making noise, while it's all apart, you can inspect everything and make sure the new fans are correctly installed and/or not the wrong ones. (Size)

Here is a generic video on how to re-paste your particular mobo. Don't stress, it's really not difficult, regardless of your skill level. :) Watch the above video a few times and then to help ease your mind, watch a few others on Youtube if needbe.

You can of course take it into a shop to do, but expect to spend $$ for them to do it for you.

Let us know what you end up doing as more info can be provided at that time if needed.

csaxon

Prominent
Jun 5, 2018
Hello,

I have had the motherboard and heatsink changed before (previous issues, iv'e had 17 services at this point, this laptop is a bit of a lemon). Its been re-pasted using MX-4, which is better than dells generic paste.

I am technically over warranty but as this is part of continuing problems from before the warranty expired, they will allow me to send it to the depot. The technician that changed the fans is one of DELL's technicians and he said if I send it to the depot, they won't run any tests on it, they will just replace the fans, heatsink and motherboard (all parts I have at home). They will use dells inferior paste as well. The fans he changed were new OEM parts. I will also lose the laptop for a month if I send it away so its a bit of a last resort.

DELL has offered to let me return it, but at this point I'm about $600 out of pocket trying to repair it so,not a great option.

Do you think it is a thermal paste issue?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hello,

I have had the motherboard and heatsink changed before (previous issues, iv'e had 17 services at this point, this laptop is a bit of a lemon). Its been re-pasted using MX-4, which is better than dells generic paste.

I am technically over warranty but as this is part of continuing problems from before the warranty expired, they will allow me to send it to the depot. The technician that changed the fans is one of DELL's technicians and he said if I send it to the depot, they won't run any tests on it, they will just replace the fans, heatsink and motherboard (all parts I have at home). They will use dells inferior paste as well. The fans he changed were new OEM parts. I will also lose the laptop for a month if I send it away so its a bit of a last resort.

DELL has offered to let me return it, but at this point I'm about $600 out of pocket trying to repair it so,not a great option.

Do you think it is a thermal paste issue?

Well done on really doing your homework on your laptop. You're obviously on top of everything.

Bummer though for the ongoing headache. :(

While there's always the possibility that the replacements parts were bad, at this point, I'd doubt it. Especially since you had an authorized Dell tech work on it. Not to say they are perfect, but at least you didn't take it to "Joe's Crab shack & PC Repair" Now the fact that you have already had a ton of parts thrown at it and are still having issues, like you said, it looks like you have a lemon and even @ $600 out of pocket, (ouch) I'd cut my losses and dump it for another. Who knows at this point if it'll ever be fixed. Do you really want to throw anymore money at it?

As for Dell, why did they not cover the initial $600? That's seems shady, though granted I don't know the whole story. Also what do you mean by Dell has offered to let you return it? As in for a refund or a replacement? Will they give you a "free" upgrade if you return it? Seems like it would be good customer service if they did, or at least reimburse you for the 17 repair costs.

Dell is like any other company. They have their fair share of POS's and units that run forever. Like other brands, I've had my fair share of both. As for it still being a thermal issue, sounds like it is, since your system is running so hot, but there may very well be a manufacturing error as well that no amount of replacing the paste will fix. I'd return it if Dell will take it back. If you can't get a refund, then "strongly" ask for an upgrade w/extended warranty.

Either way, let us know how it goes and what you choose to do.
As for MX-4, its great. It's all I use and it has never let me down.

"Dude, You got a dud, I mean a Dell.." :)

csaxon

Prominent
Jun 5, 2018
Technically DELL should have covered the last four services as the issue was never resolved. The first 13 were under warranty.However, it kept taking me weeks of waiting to get approval from higher management, while having to return the parts (proved problematic as the replaced parts were often worse than what they were replacing), so I had to pay for the last 4 as I could no longer wait around, although it was done by a DELL tech. DELL no longer considers it to be under warranty. At least half of the repairs were for damage the DELL technicians caused themselves, the one Iv'e got working on it know is the only one that proved competent (another reason I fear sending it to a depot).

I wasn't able to swap the laptop with an identical one as they stopped selling this model about a month after my purchase (which is why mine was apparently made entirely of refurbished parts. I did not know this at the time) . I actually tried to return it twice before, but the laptops I tried to replace it with were too noisy on idle (and the G3's thermals were horrible). I do like this laptop when its not playing up. Its dead silent on idle. I just want it to stop giving me problems. :(

You mentioned a possible manufacturing error. What part would cause this? The thermals only started to play up in the last month (after clean install/ parts replacement for BSOD).

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
You mentioned a possible manufacturing error. What part would cause this? The thermals only started to play up in the last month (after clean install/ parts replacement for BSOD).

Was just curious about the parts that were thrown at your laptop having issues and now hearing that the parts were refurbished... I have no way to prove it, but any way you look at it, refurbished, means used. They put used parts into your new laptop. If the model was EOL, I could understand, but so quickly after you bought it, I would think that there would be surplus parts to a point, unless it was an old model when you bought it new.

Depending on the guy's abilities that did the repairs, I wonder how much Thermal was used and if the heat sink (HS) was properly cleaned before putting everything back together as new paste on top of old paste on top of the CPU/GPU = pointless waste of time. Or if the HS was clean and the paste was new, was the HS seated correctly on top of the CPU & GPU when everything was put back together?

I'm also curious if the fan is turning on correctly at the correct temps. If it's making a noise, it may be hitting the edge of the HS causing the fan to slow down or even stop spinning altogether. Does the pitch of the fan sound change when you hold the laptop and gently flip it back & forth?

Do you have options in your Bios to override the default fan temp/RPM control? There are known Dell issues with the fan not spinning fast enough &/or not engaging correctly at designated temp thresholds.

Have to tried to manually override the fan? Look here as it lists your specific model.

Last edited:

csaxon

Prominent
Jun 5, 2018
Old paste was cleaned before new paste was put on. Do you think it would be worth it trying to repaste?

The fan does turn on at the correct temperatures. It does have the tendency to make an intermittent annoying whine when the fans are on, which it has been doing constantly since I undervolted it. It might go back to being intermittent though as its done it for days before (seems to be when laptop gets hot). This is a known fault. I cannot manually override the fan, I spent over a year trying as I think the fans are too aggressive at low temps.

I did notice about 10mins ago, if I move the laptop while listening to the CPU fan, I can hear a buzzing noise from the new one too. This is the fourth CPU fan iv'e had an issue with (GPU fans are always fine). The fans are definitely at the correct speed though.

csaxon

Prominent
Jun 5, 2018
How are your temps if you have forced air under it? Such as when used with a laptop cooler that blows air against the vents on the bottom? Do you have/use one? They work great. (If you don't already have one)
I actually have it sitting on my desk with the CPU intake vent over the side of the desk so its completely clear. The exhaust vents face the back, so nothing blocking them either,

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I actually have it sitting on my desk with the CPU intake vent over the side of the desk so its completely clear. The exhaust vents face the back, so nothing blocking them either,

Even with the vents clear, you'll still only have the CPU/GPU fans sucking in air at your rooms ambient temp and the fans on your laptop, are small and not exactly cyclones. Same of course with a laptop cooler, (moving your rooms ambient air) only the cooler moves significantly more air under the laptop where most laptops have either their primary or secondary intake vents. (Some laptops have a solid no-vent bottom casting) A good laptop cooler will only run you about $20 on Amazon. I actually bought this unit for my wife this year for Christmas as I was given an older laptop by a co-worker at work last month which I gave to my wife for basic couch browsing and to be frank, it's excellent. (The cooler I mean, the laptops decent as well lol.) I also don't feel guilty suggesting a laptop cooler as it'll work with any laptop up to 17".

As for re-pasting, I'd hold off until you see what Dell will do for you by way of return/replace. Unless you do it yourself, (which may give Dell an excuse to stop all support for you) I'm hesitant to advise you putting any more $$ into the system. That is of course your choice however.

Let us know what you plan to do. I'm curious how this'll turn out with Dell. :)

csaxon

Prominent
Jun 5, 2018
Alright, I'll contact DELL. They have offered to look over it in a depot but I'm not sure how helpful that will be as DELL technicians have caused much damage to my system. If they re paste, they will likely use DELLs crappy paste not my MX-4.

I can't repaste myself unfortunately, you have to disassemble the entire laptop to get to the heatsink and fans (I think this is why so many DELL technicians ended up damaging it- its complicated to take apart).

The issue I have with the cooling pad is that they make noise, I'm also concerned as I didn't use to need one, like I didn't use to need to undervolt, so I'm trying to find the cause of the issue. Just out of curiosity, have you ever heard of windows 10 1903 causing increased temps?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Oh, forgot to mention, the fact I have 4 CPU fans, all with issues, would that indicate some sort of manufacturing fault with the CPU fans?

I'm going to take a closer look at your laptops fans as I'm surprised it has so many. As for the cooler itself, even if you never needed one, they are still great as they help lower overall temps. Even brand new and perfectly running laptops can benefit from an external cooling solution. As for the 1903 update, there are known issues of it causing higher temps for some users. I did not check my before & after temps when I updated so I do not know if it effected me as well as I have a pretty decent cooling solution of my own and so my system stays cool overall. (Even if the 1903 update makes it run warmer)

Looking forward to Dell's response.

csaxon

Prominent
Jun 5, 2018
Do you know if 1909 is any better (cooling wise)? I can update to this easy enough but if I try to downgrade my apps and files get wiped and I lose the dell OS recovery program.

Heres a list of the CPU fan issues (GPU fan is fine, tried two, both good):

Fan 1: Buzzing noise. More noticeable when laptop is moving.

Fan2: Hitting noise (it was not hitting anything, it was checked twice, the hitting noise could have disguised buzzing but am not sure)

Fan3: Worst fan: So loud could hear vibrating from across the room.

Fan4: Buzzing noise. More noticeable when laptop is moving.

I have a fan 5 but I would have to pay for someone to install it. I tried contacting dell about it but they never answer my question.

For the cooling pad, are there any good silent ones?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Do you know if 1909 is any better (cooling wise)? I can update to this easy enough but if I try to downgrade my apps and files get wiped and I lose the dell OS recovery program.
For the cooling pad, are there any good silent ones?

For 1909, I don't know, I"m sorry. I don't have issues with temps so I don't pay attention to my Windows Ver.

As for the fans, that just sucks.. Just to be on the safe side, I'd suggest taking a video of your laptop when it's making noise for "proof" at a later time should you need it. (Not that the 11+ repairs aren't proof enough)

The cooling pad I linked to above is whisper quiet and has 5 fans that can be adjusted between having 1 on to all 5 of them. I'm impressed with it to be honest, though I'm sure there are others that are just as good or better, but I have 0 regrets in buying it. That and the 62% of the 1,397 reviews gave it 5 stars helped sway my decision. :)

csaxon

Prominent
Jun 5, 2018
For 1909, I don't know, I"m sorry. I don't have issues with temps so I don't pay attention to my Windows Ver.

As for the fans, that just sucks.. Just to be on the safe side, I'd suggest taking a video of your laptop when it's making noise for "proof" at a later time should you need it. (Not that the 11+ repairs aren't proof enough)

The cooling pad I linked to above is whisper quiet and has 5 fans that can be adjusted between having 1 on to all 5 of them. I'm impressed with it to be honest, though I'm sure there are others that are just as good or better, but I have 0 regrets in buying it. That and the 62% of the 1,397 reviews gave it 5 stars helped sway my decision. :)
Is it possible the motherboard could be a cause of high temperatures?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Is it possible the motherboard could be a cause of high temperatures?

While anything is "possible" and I don't have your laptop here in front of me broken down, but I'd hazard a guess that the mobo isn't the issue as there is very little on it itself that would generate the temps you are experiencing. The VRM's on the mobo would generate the highest amount of heat (which CAN get extremely hot) outside the CPU & GPU & possibly the North/Southbridge depending on your particular laptop. Since the GPU & CPU is soldered into your mobo, they are "part" of it so I guess I should have said "Yes" to your mobo being the cause of the temps as it's all one unit. :)

I would LOVE to be able to shine a digital temp sensor at it with the backing off which would clearly show the area where the highest heat signature is which would then let you know the root cause of the heat. You could then address the issue directly.

Last edited:

csaxon

Prominent
Jun 5, 2018
Can you buy a digital temperature sensor? Although I probably wouldn't know what I'm looking at. I do know its not the GPU as that never goes above 70C.

I was just wondering about the motherboard as I was wondering if all those little coils can get damaged and can't transmit heat correctly or something.

I have a technician coming tomorrow to install CPU fan 5 and to repaste it. I also have a spare heat-sink and motherboard (which may or may not be associated with BSOD's) that I can have him switch over. I have a spare chassis also, but it has a nick from broken plastic (cause by one of the technicians), so don't want to swap that one over.

csaxon

Prominent
Jun 5, 2018
I just had the motherboard, heatsink, fan and thermal paste replaced by a dell technician today. I haven't done any gaming yet to see how it responds, but the stress test is back below 90C (it still power throttles unless I undervolt, but it may have always done it and I just didn't notice).

I'm still having an issue with the CPU fan however (It has now been replaced 5 times). The fans also still sometimes click when they turn on/off, which only started after the first clean install. I'm wondering if that is a driver issue?