Question Instability after OC using Asus Ez-tune

Sunyata

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
If the technical support board would be the proper place to post this, please go ahead and move it as I'm brand new.

I recently built a desktop after years not even owning one, and for some stupid reason I decided I would see what might happen if I tried using my ASUS motherboard's EZ-tune utility to overclock the CPU by the smallest amount possible (2%, from 3600 to 3700).

Ryzen 5 2600X (3600 base, 4250 max)
ASUS Prime X470-Pro
MSI Rx 570
16GB DDR4-2666

After less than a day, the computer shut down while I was gaming, so I went ahead and set it back to default, since I was really only doing it out of curiosity and probably shouldn't have tried. However, only a few hours later, my display driver stopped working, and even though it said it restarted successfully in the notification, I had to restart the PC in order to get the AMD control panel to appear.

I tried pulling the CMOS for a couple hours, but as the BIOS had already been reset to default and I hadn't done anything with the video card to begin with, I was already concerned. The worry that these issues will re-appear after my return period is up has been eating at me. I had absolutely 0 problems until almost immediately after I tried this, so I know it's my fault. I'm just trying to make sure everything goes 100% back to default because the video card is so weak that there really is no functional point to an OC anyway.

I have no experience with overclocking, so I'm just very confused as to why the video driver would become unstable, after already resetting the BIOS to defaults, when I wasn't even overclocking the video card to begin with. I don't really care exactly why it happened, but I just want to make sure everything returns to 100% default rates/voltages so there are no residual effects that might pop back up in a couple months.

I'm sure that there must be a way to fully revert the effects of my stupid decision, given how basic what I did was. All I really wanted was something reliable, so I was concerned that I would have to disassemble the entire thing and return the core components in order to eliminate the instability. If anyone could provide any kind of guidance, I would really, really appreciate it. Had an awful week.

Last edited:
If the technic support board would be the proper place to post this, please go ahead and move it as I'm brand new to this forum and having kind of a rough time right now.

I recently built a desktop after years not even owning one, and for some stupid reason I decided I would see what might happen if I tried using my ASUS mobo's EZ-tune utility to overclock the CPU by the smallest amount possible (2%, from 3600 to 3700).

After less than a day, the computer shut down while I was gaming, so I went ahead and set it back to default, since I was really only doing it out of curiosity and probably shouldn't have tried. However, only a few hours later, my display driver stopped working, and even though it said it restarted successfully in the notification, I had to restart the pc in order to get the amd control panel to appear.

I tried pulling the CMOS for a couple hours, but as it had already been reset to default and I hadn't done anything with the video card to begin with(that I was aware of), I was already concerned. I could barely afford this setup as it is, and the concern that these issues will re-appear after my return period is up has been eating at me. I had absolutely 0 problems until almost immediately after I tried this.

I pretty much haven't even wanted to touch the thing, and I feel like my best bet is to disassemble it and return anything that could be affected by an OC, and try to see if I can afford some different parts.

I know that there must be a way to revert the effects of this stupid decision, but I have little to no experience with overclocking, and I really just want it to be a reliable gaming machine to play older games on.

I am open to any help anyone could offer in terms of trying to fix the problem, but I think my main question really just has to be which parts I need to return in order to start completely over.

I know that CPU, Motherboard, and GPU are obvious. Would the RAM and SSD be affected at all? The ez-tune utility said it wasn't changing the timings on RAM at all, but it never mentioned anything to do with the GPU either.

I feel really lost and have a ton of other shitty stuff that happened the past couple nights, so I would be so grateful to anyone who could offer some experience or guidance.
First, it would be nice to know which system you are talking about !!!!
You shouldn't have to return anything, should be enough to reset CMOS/BIOS to factory defaults.

Sunyata

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
First, it would be nice to know which system you are talking about !!!!
You shouldn't have to return anything, should be enough to reset CMOS/BIOS to factory defaults.
I didn't think it would matter what the components were because I'm only trying to return it to defaults. It's certainly not a great build or anything. I meant to try and condense the post and add more info after a nap but I've been really sick the past few days and I forgot. In OP now, apologies.

TRENDING THREADS