Question Instability issues - AMD Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB

luizsilveira

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
tl;dr: bought the GPU to play Squad but it crashes after playing for a while. No clue as to why.

For months I have played Squad with a Ryzen 3 2200g, with the Vega 8 onboard graphics, and 16gb of dual channel, 3Ghz RAM, 500W PSU, A320 mobo. Could get 30fps on low to medium and was happy with it, but wanted an upgrade.

Last week I got a RX 580 and now I'm having trouble. Either I'm having frequent UE4 crashes (crash to desktop with a message like his one) after about 30 min. playing or so, or bit by bit I start to get stutters and packet loss and then eventually get booted from server. Any server. Internet is fine, other games are fine. Very strange but pretty consistent symptoms.

Stock GPU behaviour was interesting; the clock went down to 1.290ish fairly often (from 1.350 stock) and fans were a bit on the slow side even at ~75C. First thing I did using Radeon Software, as per many reviews, was to increase Power Limit (%) to max (30 in my case) and all was good. Until the crashes.

At first I thought it could be temperature related. So I undervolted it, also per many online reviews and guides. No joy, it still crashes - tried everything from 1070 to stock mv. So then I went on to lower the graphics settings and even lock fps to lower the load on the GPU. Still no joy.

I noticed the CPU hit 80ºC at the time it crashed. Ok, maybe it was that? Further lowered settings and locked fps at 42 (could get up to 60, stable 55, when unlocked). CPU temp stayed ~60 and didn't go above 65, the GPU was in the same range, but still the game crashed after a while. I also notice that, with the packet loss, I start to get some frames skipped. Looks like a stutter, but it's clearly a frame or two that don't get displayed from time to time. No fps hit tho, FPS Is stable, GPU use is stable. Latest drivers, the board came with 2020 BIOS.

Today I lowered the Power Limit (%) to minimum (-30). And guess what, I played for more than 2 hours without any issues. GPU clock kept going down almost all the time to low 1200s Ghz, but it didn't really affect performance since I had locked fps at 44.

And now what. It worked but I don't want to leave it like this if it's a faulty card or similar, since it's new. And I really don't know what to think/try any more. Could this be PSU related? I wonder why did lowering Power Limit give this result, but undervolting didn't? Thanks for any insights.

luizsilveira

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
What "500w PSU"? Which, by the way, doesn't meet the minimum power requirements of the card manufacturer.

Gamemax 500.

I'm aware it doesn't meet minimum requirements. All I've read is that they're usually a bit overestimated and that even 400~450W, if to quality, would do? Which mine is not, I'm also aware.

I've ran a few PSU calculators before purchasing the GPU; just ran one again (outervision) throwing everything in, and it said load wattage 400W and recommended PSU 450W?

Gamemax 500.

I'm aware it doesn't meet minimum requirements. All I've read is that they're usually a bit overestimated and that even 400~450W, if to quality, would do? Which mine is not, I'm also aware.

I've ran a few PSU calculators before purchasing the GPU; just ran one again (outervision) throwing everything in, and it said load wattage 400W and recommended PSU 450W?
I'd get a quality 650watt unit.

luizsilveira

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

Thanks but that'd totally break the piggy bank. The GPU was already a stretch.

If my PSU is indeed not enough, I'm considering returning this 580 (still have a handful of days to do so) and getting a Gigabyte GTX 1650 super instead. It's tiny and one fan only, but it goes for roughly the same price and, for what I've seen, has similar performance for less power drain and a bit less heat than the 580?

I just don't understand why there is a U$10 difference between GV-N165SOC-4GD (cheaper) and GV-N165SD6-4GD (more expensive).

I do prefer AMD, and the 580 is 8GB vs the GTX's 4GB, but...

Thanks but that'd totally break the piggy bank. The GPU was already a stretch.

If my PSU is indeed not enough, I'm considering returning this 580 (still have a handful of days to do so) and getting a Gigabyte GTX 1650 super instead. It's tiny and one fan only, but it goes for roughly the same price and, for what I've seen, has similar performance for less power drain and a bit less heat than the 580?

I just don't understand why there is a U$10 difference between GV-N165SOC-4GD (cheaper) and GV-N165SD6-4GD (more expensive).

I do prefer AMD, and the 580 is 8GB vs the GTX's 4GB, but...
The 1650 is definitely a more efficient card compared to that 580.

luizsilveira

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Well, dang it. Now it's hard to decide.

Got the Gigabyte 1650 super OC (not the windforce version unfortunately). It's the one fan mini version. Wow it's noisy. Not so much when under load, but minimum fan speed is 59%. Who thought of this absurd? It has a very annoying whine even when idle!

The 1650 ran Dirt Rally and War Thunder with vastly superior performance compared to the 580, but that doesn't matter to me. Both get 60+ fps on almost max settings.

Now with Squad... that I'm not sure. It seems like the 580, even on power limit -15% or so, was running better than the 1650? The latter seems to hate high shadow settings. It works well on low/medium shadows, but on high the fps tanks. For the 580 it made little to no difference the shadow setting so I could run the game closer to 60fps and closer to max settings.

Now I really don't know what to do - and have some 24h tops to decide between the two. :oops:

Shame I just saw this thread...
My system RX480 @ 1300MHz, i7-3770 @ 4.2GHz, pulls ~270W under FurMark AND Prime95 running at the same time. Measured with a Kill-a-Watt meter, and adjusted for PSU efficiency. I have a 550W PSU.

There's a temp issue here. But the card shouldn't crash if/when the core gets to 80C. Was this card bought used or new?

Please tell us what case you have, how many fans, what size they are, where they're mounted, which direction they're blowing

Last edited: