instability issues with MSI R9 280X

zenman1000

Reputable
May 22, 2014
Hey everyone, back in November I built myself a PC and decided to roll with a 280x GPU.

This is my setup:

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz
    MB: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
    GPU: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
    PSU: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    with this monitor
    Windows 8

Everything has been great.... except when I play games.

My FPS when I play games like CS:GO and TF2 hovers around 30, even with bare minimum settings.

Sleeping Dogs is unplayable for me. I even tried playing Empire: Total War, a fairly old game, and my computer struggles on the lowest settings.

Something is up and I can't figure out what it is. It seems like it's being bottlenecked somehow and i'm not getting full power.I'm confused and really bummed out because I really want to make the most of this GPU. My computer sucks... why?

Solution

I think the problem is in your CPU... You put cooler correct? This temps in CPU is not normal i have same CPU and when i use stock cooler never get 70º in game.

Try to...

lowriderflow

Distinguished
you're definitely using the 280x and not the onboard video right? lol

do you have any kind of vsync settings? i know theres a seting for "half of refresh rate", and if you're sticking at 30, that might make sense.

install afterburner beta and open up all the monitoring tools... see whats going on. what are your CPU cores doing during game... how much RAM being used, what is your GPU core doing? how much GPU ram being used? etc etc

zenman1000

Reputable
May 22, 2014
you're definitely using the 280x and not the onboard video right? lol

I've considered that, but my monitor is plugged directly into the GPU and I can hear the fans running. Maybe i'm still doing something wrong.

do you have any kind of vsync settings? i know theres a seting for "half of refresh rate", and if you're sticking at 30, that might make sense.

I usually turn all of that stuff off... anti-aliasing also.

install afterburner beta and open up all the monitoring tools... see whats going on. what are your CPU cores doing during game... how much RAM being used, what is your GPU core doing? how much GPU ram being used? etc etc
yup, I have all of those things installed including the gaming app. I'll run some diagnostics and post my results.

zenman1000

Reputable
May 22, 2014

just ran afterburner, here is what it looks like
this shows FPS
this is my CPU temp while in game

rcfaro

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

I think the problem is in your CPU... You put cooler correct? This temps in CPU is not normal i have same CPU and when i use stock cooler never get 70º in game.

Try to remove and install again your CPU Cooler.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS