Question Instaling and using windows via usb 3.0 to sata

Apr 13, 2019
A am curently using acer a114-31-c7vn.
laptop is not upgradeable.a am stuck with 32 gigs of emmc memory and 2 gigs of ram and dual core 1.10 ghz celeron.I got idea to order usb 3.0 to sata conventer and put ssd on it to gain more storage and am also hoping to gain more ssd speed .What do you guys think ,can i gain ssd speed via usb 3.0 and load windows over usb 3.0 .Thanks
laptop specs::
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Celeron N3350 @ 1.10GHz
Apollo Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
2,00GB
Motherboard
APL Bulbasaur_AP_S (U3E1)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics (Acer Incorporated [ALI])
Storage
29GB Toshiba 032G34 (SD (SSD))

Apr 13, 2019
stick with 1 thread
A am curently using acer a114-31-c7vn.
laptop is not upgradeable.a am stuck with 32 gigs of emmc memory and 2 gigs of ram and dual core 1.10 ghz celeron.I got idea to order usb 3.0 to sata conventer and put ssd on it to gain more storage and am also hoping to gain more ssd speed .What do you guys think ,can i gain ssd speed via usb 3.0 and load windows over usb 3.0 .Thanks
laptop specs::
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Apollo Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
2,00GB
Motherboard
APL Bulbasaur_AP_S (U3E1)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics (Acer Incorporated [ALI])
Storage
29GB Toshiba 032G34 (SD (SSD))

You can install windows to go on a usb drive but it is generally incredibly slow.
If your laptop has an sd card slot i would make sure your laptop can boot from sd. Some of these modern acer netbooks cannot boot from sd.

Reactions: PetarTomic

USAFRet

Titan
By SD card slot, I meant just for extra storage space. Not to try to boot from.
This is what I have with my 2x Asus Transformers.

1 has a 32GB eMMC drive, the other a 64GB.
They both have 256GB microSD cards, for other data. The OS lives on the eMMC drive.

You can install windows to go on a usb drive but it is generally incredibly slow.
No it's only slow if you use a slow medium,if you try this with a cheap USB flash drive it will be in deed incredibly slow,if you use an internal HDD it's basically the same speed as if it where native,I'm sure you do loose some speed but you don't notice.
If you use an SSD it's plenty fast,but with a celeron and only 2Gb ram and over usb "3" the drive speed might not matter much.

@peter If you do this to get more usable space and a variant on your OS go ahead if you do this for speed and nothing else,I wouldn't expect much in that case I could opnly be pleasantly surprised.
Especially the converter might be very slow, remember that usb3 is just a compatibility thing, devices do not need to reach high speeds to claim compatibility with it they just need to work.

USAFRet

Titan
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
RAM 2,00GB

Using the most uberfast SSD as the OS drive in/externally in this thing will still result in a slow system, simply because it is a slow minimally powered system.
eMMC isn't that much slower than a SATA III SSD.

Just add a SD or microSD card for extra space as a D drive, and realize that this is simply a slow system.

Apr 13, 2019
Thank you all for your fast reply ,yeah sd card is probably the best option,but maybe in near future i will try with ssd also just beacuse of my curiosity of performimg .thank you guys for answering my question .Have a nice day :)