Instaling ram

henry354

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
when i install extra ram into xp do i hve to tell it that it is there. also how can i tell how much my computer will take.

jsmakkar

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Please mention the model of your motherboard and only then somebody would be able to tell you the maximum RAM capacity.

You don't have to configure anywhere for new added RAM. Your PC would configure that itself.

Hope that answers your question!!!

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011

What manages the RAM is your motherboard, not the OS. When you plug in the RAM stick the MB should automatically detect it.

How much your computer will "take" depends. If you have a 32-bit OS it can only handle 4GB of RAM, and as Windows bites 0.5GB, you have 3.5GB free to use. 64-bit systems do not have this limitation.

You might be trying to put more than 4GB memory into a 32-bit system and not getting it working. Try installing a 64-bit system instead.

Use the memory advisor tool on Crucial's web site. It will tell you how many memory slots your board has and what type of ram it can use.

If your OS is 32 bit, don't go over 4 gig of ram total. A 64 bit OS can handle much more than 4 gig, most likely more than your motherboard can support.

http://www.crucial.com/