Install 2 versions of Windows 10 on same PC

Jun 26, 2018
Hi everyone

I'm looking to install 2 versions of windows 10, each on their own hard drive.

I have tried previously (if I recall using Windows boot manager) but I don't think I installed / setup correctly, as some Windows updates got installed on the wrong hard drive (after rebooting), causing major problems and forcing me to reformat both drives.

I got into the habit of unplugging the sata cable so I could use both versions of Windows, which was obviously really inconvenient.

What steps would I need to take to get this setup correctly? Ideally I wouldn't have to reformat either of my hard drives, however I could reformat one which wouldn't be as much hassle as the other.

I'd really like to get this setup as I'm considering buying a separate PC just to use the other version of Windows. Are there any recommended resources or advice?

Any help would be really appreciated.

John.

Reactions: yskasman
Solution

Or 2 different user accounts.
Depending on your hardware, Win 7 may be a non-starter.
Jun 26, 2018
Hi

I have 1 SSD I use for PC gaming, and the other drive (standard HDD) for general use.

I keep my SSD strictly to essential Windows things and Steam (games installed on a separate internal HDD).

The general idea is to keep the 2 completely separate.

USAFRet

Titan
2 identical OS's on the same PC generally leads to more problems than it solves.

Twice the management (updates, etc)
If both drives are connected, greater risk of conflict and corruption.
Many other potential failpoints and issues.

USAFRet

Titan

"completely separate" = physical disconnection of one or the other.

Jun 26, 2018
So it seems the pain I suffered with the previous dual boot was a symptom of trying to use 2 versions of Windows 10!

I'm guessing one Windows 10 and one Windows 7 would work better using Windows boot manager?

I'm thinking a separate machine may be the way to go.

USAFRet

Titan

Or 2 different user accounts.
Depending on your hardware, Win 7 may be a non-starter.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS