Install 2nd (old, ata) hard drive on sata machine ..

Hi

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with a single SATA hard drive.
I want to install a second hard drive, & I want to use a 120 Gb *ATA* hard
drive I have lying around for this purpose.
( I cannot just install it on the IDE controllers as the 2 CD/DVD ROM drives
use the only PATA channel there is. The Dell has 4 SATA connectors on the
MB, thus 3 spare )

I have (foolishly ??) bought an ATA/SATA adapter that claims to enable
connection of ATA HD to SATA motherboard.

OK, I fit the adapter, connect everything up, and - the BIOS doesn't find
this 2nd drive. (Yes the BIOS is configured with the relevant SATA MB input
'active' )

I read a lot on this ng & elsewhere about having to load the xp drivers for
SATA from a floppy by hitting F6 etc etc.. but if there is already one
functional SATA drive in there (which there is) , presumably I don't have to
do this again for the second HD ??

There is loads of material around about installing xp onto a SATA HD, but
none - that I can find - that helps me with this.

Should I just give up & dump my shiny ATA drive & buy a SATA one ??

Help appreciated.

--
Paul Seaton

How about looking at ATA(IDE) to USB conversion kits?

> How about looking at ATA(IDE) to USB conversion kits?

OK, it's a possiblity.
I just don't like to think I wasted the money on the ata -> sata adapter I
already got, plus.... by now I just would like to know what's going on here
for it's own sake.

--
Paul Seaton

> [...]

| MB, thus 3 spare )
|
| I have (foolishly ??) bought an ATA/SATA adapter that claims to enable
| connection of ATA HD to SATA motherboard.
|
| OK, I fit the adapter, connect everything up, and - the BIOS doesn't find
| this 2nd drive. (Yes the BIOS is configured with the relevant SATA MB
input
| 'active' )
|
| I read a lot on this ng & elsewhere about having to load the xp drivers
for
| SATA from a floppy by hitting F6 etc etc.. but if there is already one
| functional SATA drive in there (which there is) , presumably I don't have
| do this again for the second HD ??
|
| There is loads of material around about installing xp onto a SATA HD, but
| none - that I can find - that helps me with this.
|
| Should I just give up & dump my shiny ATA drive & buy a SATA one ??

Hi Paul -

How do you have the 120GB PATA drive jumpered?

Most SATA adaptors require that the drive be jumpered in the Master
position.

Jef

"Jef Norton" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> "Paul Seaton" <NOpaulseatonSPAM@paulseaton.com> wrote in message
> |

> | Hi
> |
> | I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with a single SATA hard drive.
> | I want to install a second hard drive, & I want to use a 120 Gb *ATA*
hard
> | drive I have lying around for this purpose.
> | ( I cannot just install it on the IDE controllers as the 2 CD/DVD ROM
> drives
> | use the only PATA channel there is. The Dell has 4 SATA connectors on
the
> | MB, thus 3 spare )
> |
> | I have (foolishly ??) bought an ATA/SATA adapter that claims to enable
> | connection of ATA HD to SATA motherboard.
> |
> | OK, I fit the adapter, connect everything up, and - the BIOS doesn't
find
> | this 2nd drive. (Yes the BIOS is configured with the relevant SATA MB
> input
> | 'active' )
> |
> | I read a lot on this ng & elsewhere about having to load the xp drivers
> for
> | SATA from a floppy by hitting F6 etc etc.. but if there is already one
> | functional SATA drive in there (which there is) , presumably I don't
have
> | do this again for the second HD ??
> |
> | There is loads of material around about installing xp onto a SATA HD,
but
> | none - that I can find - that helps me with this.
> |
> | Should I just give up & dump my shiny ATA drive & buy a SATA one ??
> |
> | Help appreciated.
> |

> | --
> | Paul Seaton
> |

> Hi Paul -
>
> How do you have the 120GB PATA drive jumpered?
>
> Most SATA adaptors require that the drive be jumpered in the Master
> position.

Hi,

I tried it on master.
No joy.
The fact that the BIOS doesn't even see it must tell us something no ?
(I've no idea what, of course ..)

--
Paul Seaton

"R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Paul.
>
> Maybe I can help just a little. My mobo has SATA and PATA connectors. I
> have NO SATA drives, just 2 PATAs plus a single SCSI drive connected to an
> Adaptec SCSI host adapter. The SCSI drive is normally my boot device.
>
> > I read a lot on this ng & elsewhere about having to load the xp drivers
> > for
> > SATA from a floppy by hitting F6 etc etc.. but if there is already one
> > functional SATA drive in there (which there is) , presumably I don't
have
> > do this again for the second HD ??

R.C. ,

> The F6 procedure is needed only for the BOOT device. Since you are
already
> booting from your SATA drive, you are already past that bottleneck.

Excellent. I learned something. Thanks.

> secondary drive that will not be used to boot the computer does not need
> this. Its drivers can be installed like other devices: by letting WinXP
> detect it if it's plug-n-play, or from a CD or other media it's not.
>
> I haven't tried an ATA/SATA adapter, so I can't guess why your drive is
not
> recognized when connected this way. I haven't seen a mobo without two
> single PATA channels, even if it has SATA, too.

It's a Dell Dimension 8400.
One ATA channel. (has both CD /DVD drives on it )
Four SATA.
One floppy channel.

> > (Yes the BIOS is configured with the relevant SATA MB input
> > 'active' )
>
> You said you jumpered the drive as Master. Have you tried it as Cable
> Select?

Not yet.
I've been staring at that ATA hard drive thinking 'I'm going to try again
with you' for about a week.
But since I always end up having a nervous breakdown at around 3 am after 8
hours futile messing around, I need to store some positive energy first ..
:)

> How many SATA connectors does your mobo have?

Four.

Mine (EPoX 8KDA3+) actually
> has six! Two (SATA1 and SATA2) are "standard equipment" and their
> connectors are near the AGP slot on the mobo. The other 4 are "optional"
> and are located near the lower right corner of the mobo, near the
"optional"
> Silicon Image SiI3114 S-ATA controller chip. Since I have no SATA drives,
> I've not had to learn how to enable all these connectors, but I would
guess
> that I will have to enable the standard and the optional groups
separately.

It's easy to enable them in 'SETUP' in the BIOS.
Just that a newly enabled #2 SATA connection just doesn't seem to get
enabled, in so far as the BIOS still can't see the drive.
Maybe the ATA/SATA adapter is flaky ?
But I have no way to test that, & it's unlikely, I would think.

> Are you sure you don't need to enable that second connector separately?

That's what I did.
Explicitly, in SETUP.
Doesn't seem to help.

> Do you need to install a driver for that second SATA connector?

Maybe I need to, but I haven't, as yet.
The Dell documentation for installing 2nd SATA HD just says plug it in &
enable the connection in the BIOS.
Done that.
My ATA - posing-as-SATA drive should be appearing to the MB as SATA, I guess
?
But it's appearing as ... nothing.

I'll check the MB CD ( assuming Dell gave me one....)

Did you get
> a CD-ROM with drivers on it? My mobo came with a CD-ROM containing
drivers
> for several functions: on-board sound, on-board LAN, SATA RAID, USB 2.0,
> etc.

I'll try 'cable select' & check the MB CD for drivers / more documentation.

> I hope some of this is useful to you. ;^}

Sure, thanks v much for the suggestions.
I'll let you know what results..

Regards,

--
Paul Seaton

> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Paul Seaton" <NOpaulseatonSPAM@paulseaton.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Hi
> >
> > I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with a single SATA hard drive.
> > I want to install a second hard drive, & I want to use a 120 Gb *ATA*
hard
> > drive I have lying around for this purpose.
> > ( I cannot just install it on the IDE controllers as the 2 CD/DVD ROM
> > drives
> > use the only PATA channel there is. The Dell has 4 SATA connectors on
the
> > MB, thus 3 spare )
> >
> > I have (foolishly ??) bought an ATA/SATA adapter that claims to enable
> > connection of ATA HD to SATA motherboard.
> >
> > OK, I fit the adapter, connect everything up, and - the BIOS doesn't
find
> > this 2nd drive. (Yes the BIOS is configured with the relevant SATA MB
> > input
> > 'active' )
> >
> > I read a lot on this ng & elsewhere about having to load the xp drivers
> > for
> > SATA from a floppy by hitting F6 etc etc.. but if there is already one
> > functional SATA drive in there (which there is) , presumably I don't
have
> > do this again for the second HD ??
> >
> > There is loads of material around about installing xp onto a SATA HD,
but
> > none - that I can find - that helps me with this.
> >
> > Should I just give up & dump my shiny ATA drive & buy a SATA one ??
> >
> > Help appreciated.
> >

> > --
> > Paul Seaton

OK, I tried with the ATA HD as 'cable select'.

Damn.

No joy.

The BIOS still don't see it.

I better just buy myself a SATA drive. Anyone want a 120 GB ATA Maxtor HD
??? :)

--
Paul Seaton

I have the same issue! I have a brans spanking new Dell 8400 with a WD
80gb SATA. I went out and bought a Seagate 200gb ATA HDD, not realizing
the Dell was SATA! duh!
Anyway, I also bought a Promise Ultra133 TX2 ATA Controller in hopes to
get the Seagate to be seen by the Dell. Well, the Dell sees the
controller fine. But the Seagate - in XP Disk Management you can see it
but not in Windows Explorer! I have no jumpers on the Seagate right
now and it says something about secondary slave. I found on the web
that the jumper might need to be in setting s 3/4 to be seen as a
slave. Paul, give that a try. I'm going to try this weekend to get this
thing to work.
Once, I get it working, I'll post so we all can have a reference.
The ATA HDD's are slowly phazing out, so there's some good deals on
them. It would be nice to know how to get them to work with a SATA
system!