Install by creating media? Installing via USB

Cheeky_Chris

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Hey guys. I'm am building a new PC tomorrow and I am going to use the HDD from this Windows 7 PC and I have just downloaded Windows 8.1 to install onto an SSD for my new PC.
I discovered that the option to install by creating media and put it onto a USB. As I will not have a disk drive in new PC I am planning to install Windows 8.1 from a USB. If I chose to install by creating media will I still be able to plug the USB in tomorrow and slap it onto my SSD, or do I have to use this? http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/install-windows-8-usb.htm Install by creating media seems a bit to simple as opposed to the guide and I don't have another £100 to spare on another OS, so I wanna get it 100% right.

Cheers

Cheeky_Chris

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013

I presume so, I saw absolutely no other option to buy it on the Microsoft site?

My screen atm says Windows upgrade assistant, so I'm sorta panicking after what you just said. I've got absolutely no idea how to attach an image so I can't show you?

USAFRet

Titan

Follow the prompts, and when it says to create install media, do that.
I think you'll be OK.

It has already verified your previous install, so the upgrade thing should work.

Cheeky_Chris

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
[/quotemsg]

I think you'll be OK.

It has already verified your previous install, so the upgrade thing should work. [/quotemsg]

God I hope it works :(

I have not used the product key yet so I presume if I have to I can call up microsoft and either transfer it from upgrade to full or simply return it. I just hope it gives me the option to install to media D:

USAFRet

Titan

I think you'll be OK.

It has already verified your previous install, so the upgrade thing should work. [/quotemsg]

I have not used the product key yet so I presume if I have to I can call up microsoft and either transfer it from upgrade to full or simply return it. I just hope it gives me the option to install to media D:

[/quotemsg]

Right. Before you get to the product key part, it should give you the option to burn to DVD or USB. Do that.

Cheeky_Chris

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013

[/quotemsg]

Right. Before you get to the product key part, it should give you the option to burn to DVD or USB. Do that.[/quotemsg]

I will wait for that and notify you if it works. If not I have just looked up the return policy from microsoft which states that as long as the products key is unused it can be returned. Obviously I have no intention of entering it until I get my new PC so that is fine.

Thank you for lowering the heart rate of a very scared man!

Cheeky_Chris

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013

[/quotemsg]

Right. Before you get to the product key part, it should give you the option to burn to DVD or USB. Do that.[/quotemsg]

Just found this so I think I am in the clear. I will just create the ISO file and then move it onto the USB

USAFRet

Titan

Just found this so I think I am in the clear. I will just create the ISO file and then move it onto the USB
[/quotemsg]

The routine should give the option of creating the USB install media. You just don't copy the ISO over.

TRENDING THREADS