Install Error: Required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

test_dummy

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I'm trying to install Windows 7 64bit. After loading windows 7 setup from my dvd drive I get the error "Required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing." From doing a lot of research, it seems this error has nothing to do with my DVD drive but has to do with the SATA Controller Driver. So I try to load the 64bit drivers for the SATA controller and it finds them okay but when i try to install, it says something like "no new devices found". The SATA Driver(s) are the only it ever finds, except for the time I enabled Raid... Then those drivers showed up as well but with the exact same results.

From another forum I was directed to this microsoft page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952951 and the resolution says: "To workaround this issue, disable AHCI mode for your disk controller in the system BIOS. Typically the controller has to be changed from AHCI mode to "IDE" or "ATA" mode. "

My motherboard is an Asus P5N-E nForce 650i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard. However, I can not find anyway to change the setting from AHCI mode to IDE or ATA. As far as I can tell, nothing in my bios allows me to change that setting... or at best it's unapparent.

That said, the info I was getting from googling for an answer was a bit all over the place with this problem so I may not even be on the right track.

Thank you for your help.

Solution

THANK YOU for posting this!! I was experiencing the same "missing CD/DVD driver" problem. After pulling my hair out, I found your solution and redownloaded Windows 7 Professional x86 again. The 2nd burn was successful for me as well. Wow, that was a real headache!!

JonnyEnglish

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012

THANK YOU for posting this!! I was experiencing the same "missing CD/DVD driver" problem. After pulling my hair out, I found your solution and redownloaded Windows 7 Professional x86 again. The 2nd burn was successful for me as well. Wow, that was a real headache!!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS