Install Error: Required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

test_dummy

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I'm trying to install Windows 7 64bit. After loading windows 7 setup from my dvd drive I get the error "Required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing." From doing a lot of research, it seems this error has nothing to do with my DVD drive but has to do with the SATA Controller Driver. So I try to load the 64bit drivers for the SATA controller and it finds them okay but when i try to install, it says something like "no new devices found". The SATA Driver(s) are the only it ever finds, except for the time I enabled Raid... Then those drivers showed up as well but with the exact same results.

From another forum I was directed to this microsoft page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952951 and the resolution says: "To workaround this issue, disable AHCI mode for your disk controller in the system BIOS. Typically the controller has to be changed from AHCI mode to "IDE" or "ATA" mode. "

My motherboard is an Asus P5N-E nForce 650i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard. However, I can not find anyway to change the setting from AHCI mode to IDE or ATA. As far as I can tell, nothing in my bios allows me to change that setting... or at best it's unapparent.

That said, the info I was getting from googling for an answer was a bit all over the place with this problem so I may not even be on the right track.

Thank you for your help.

Solution

THANK YOU for posting this!! I was experiencing the same "missing CD/DVD driver" problem. After pulling my hair out, I found your solution and redownloaded Windows 7 Professional x86 again. The 2nd burn was successful for me as well. Wow, that was a real headache!!

test_dummy

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I can see the drive in Windows fine. Even when I'm loading Windows 7 64bit, I'm loading from the DVD.

As I was looking through the BIOS, one of the options said something like (if enabled, you should set some other option in advanced mode). I have no idea how to get to advanced mode, so I will be Googling again.

chedderslam1976

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
I just went through the same problem myself over the last couple of days. Make sure you have configured the raid array in the raid card/mb bios setup. During boot, before windows set up starts, you should have a key to press to enter raid set up.

Have you done that?

test_dummy

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Actually, misread the note about "advanced mode". It says "expert mode" and it's just a setting. It doesn't seem there is an "Advanced or Expert Mode" or if there is, it's undocumented. Is there typically a way to enter the "advanced mode" on an ASUS MB?

Chedder... I read something about enabling raid. What I've tried was enabling raid in the bios but not setting any of the SATA drives to enabled. The info I read wasn't totally clear on how to do it.

test_dummy

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I've tried to enable Raid, and I enabled it for all SATA ports and devices. It didn't seem my SATA DVD drive would work with Raid enabled on it. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think it was working. I setup a striping array on (SATA 4) (my os hard drive) and connected an IDE DVD Drive. I got the same error as before. I did not try loading the drivers. I will go back and try the same thing again and try to install the drivers it wants again. They were on my other HD which had raid enabled in the BIOS but I didn't setup an array for it, so i couldn't read off it.

As far as I can tell I have all SATA options enabled. There is an onboard JMicron SATA Controller. I've tried enabling and disabling (currently disabled), it doesn't seem to make any difference.

If you would like, you can view the manual for my MB here: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx. MODEL: Socket775 P5N-E SLI

Thats actually not true for Windows Vista or 7. I used to have to for Windows XP and it had to use a floppy (ewww) that would erase itself every time. But when I first built my machine and setup my normal RAID 0, put in the Vista disk I thought, yay!!!! I can use a USB thumb drive. Then I started the install and bam. It saw the RAID array.

Man it was an instant relief. 7 is the same. No need for RAID drivers as, like Windows 98, it has generic ones there. Which I found weird. Why did 98 have RAID drivers and XP didn't.......

As for the OP, have you tried to change the SATA port that the DVD drive is in as well as the cable? And could you take a picture of your BIOS? If anything you should be able to press Delete and get into it. If we can see it, we should be able to guide you.

And as for the 64bit, this is a fresh install and not you trying to upgrade 32bit to 64bit correct?

test_dummy

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I have changed the SATA port but not the cable. I'm curious of your reasoning there... Windows can read from the DVD and HDs just fine, including during setup. In fact, I can browse any of them to search for the driver it wants me to install but I can't figure out what driver it really needs.

I am doing a fresh install, I will be deleting my current OS (Vista). However, I haven't been able to get to that point in the setup process.

I am not saying that. Just that Vista and 7 can see most RAIDs without them since they have the generic drivers installed where XP had non, not even generic Intel drivers.

I needed no drivers for my RAID.

As for the OP, sometimes a cable or port switch might do it. Still a BIOS screen shot would help to see what we have. If its a advanced BIOS or crappy generic one.

test_dummy

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I have tried to install the SATA Controller & Raid Controller Drivers but it says something like "No new devices found" and it won't go any farther in the installation. This is really odd. Not to mention the error message Microsoft gives is TERRIBLE. I have no clue what it really wants but when I browse to the SATA & Raid Controller drivers that's the only thing I've found so far that will show up (in the list of drivers I can install) when I browse to the driver directory(s). I can see and use the hard drives and the DVD Drive (which are all SATA) and I'm loading windows from the DVD drive. What gives, right!?!?

test_dummy

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Thank you all for your help. After all that, I finally did get it to work.

THE PROBLEM: I either had a bad download or bad burn.

THE SOLUTION: I downloaded Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit again, using IE this time and then burned it at 8x, instead of 12x. I then put the DVD in and installation was a breeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.