Question Install Heatsink on M.2 SSD if Under Graphics Card?

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Hi. I have B450 Aurous Elite from Gigabyte motherboard that had 1 heatsink plate. On the bottom slot I have 250GB Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 installed that contains Windows 10 OS. I did not install heatsink plate on it.

The top-most M.2 slot I decided to leave empty because GeForce RTX 2060 is over it and I did not want to have it installed there due to more heat that video card creates. I bought M.2 WD SN570 1GB and want to install it in that slot and wonder if I should stick heatsink plate on it because it will be under video card. The purpose of M.2 drive is storage with few copy/paste activities and occasional gaming.

I learned that is has 12GB SLC cache which restricts it to around 700MB write speed. Assuming I will need to move 50GB file it might get even hotter sitting under video card? It is what I read here: https://www.techoverwrite.com/m-2-slot-under-gpu/

Should I better install heatsink plate on main OS M.2 drive? I remember reading one review where person received their M.2 with a very small detached part from PCB and asking if drive will still work. I also remember seeing someone sticking heatsink on PCB side itself. I thought it could result in a scenario with some small part detaching too.

Thanks

Last edited:

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Sure. You get 2x more bandwidth in upper M.2 slot.
In my use case will I feel the difference to warrant the change? I do not want to have potential issues down the road due to change of storage media. I have encrypted drive by VeraCrypt with password and PIN on boot. I do not want to lose data because of that change. Hardware storage devices have these paths in boot sector so I am not sure.

geofelt

Titan
The need for heatsinks and airflow on m.2 drives is only there if the m.2 is pounded with long sequential activity.
Even then, any overheating results in a temporarily slow down of activity.
You would never notice any of this.
I would not bother with such a heat sink,

Reactions: Boris_yo

ASK THE COMMUNITY