install in new partition

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
I have Win 7 and more room to add Win 10 in another partition of the same SSD.
I do not want to use them as a Dual system, just don't want lose Win 10 before the end of this month, in the event that I may use it in the future. How do I go about doing this after creating that new partition? I tried the Mediatool but no where does it show how to set it up with a usb or DVD.

Solution

Whether the notification appears or not has no bearing on whether you can Upgrade that Win 7 to Win 10. You can use the MediaCreation tool, and Upgrade that way.

But you still only have one license.
One or the other.
Teh upgrade offe does not allow to run both a new 10 and old 7 as you will not have licenses for both. You either upgrate the 7 to 10 or wipe the 7 and do a fresh install. And don't partition your SSD.
Your best course of action would be to upgrade teh 7 to 10.

Download the Media Creation Tool from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
Run it and select upgrade now(as opposed to creating a usb drive or ISO)

Colif

Win 11 Master
The media creation tool exists to allow you to use it to upgrade a current install or make a USB or DVD to use on a clean install, it doesn't show you how to install win 10. There are guides on internet that can show you how to install win 10

Now the "free" upgrade needs a licence code to install using, this would be your win 7 licence key so you cannot use both at once or within a month your win 7 key would become a win 10 key. I realise you don't want to do this and only want to get win 10 now to ensure you can in future if you decide to swap.

What i would do is make a backup of your win 7 install (using something like http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx) and then upgrade it to win 10 and then roll back to win 7 again. This should mark your win 7 key as having been registered for use with win 10 and allow you to upgrade to it in the future... but I really don't know for sure. No one outside Microsoft knows how it will work after the free period ends.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013

As an after thought, I realized that I had Win 10 icon in my task bar on my notebook, which has a legitimate Win 7 OS. When i installed Win 10, it made my Win 7 OS as an old folder which would expire within 30 days. So my question ...is this not viable anymore?

Yes, perfecly viable if you have said icon in your system tray.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013

OH, is that the only way it would work? My desktop never had it in its task bar. I have the 2 folders $Windows~BT and $ Windows~WS..in my C drive. They do not count as being as good as having in the task bar?

USAFRet

Titan

Whether the notification appears or not has no bearing on whether you can Upgrade that Win 7 to Win 10. You can use the MediaCreation tool, and Upgrade that way.

But you still only have one license.
One or the other.

Solution