[SOLVED] Install many programs without slowing down computer?

Feb 6, 2021
There are many creative programs I have to use for my job. Adobe Creative Suite, Cinema 4D, Houdini, Davinci Resolve, Redshift, Arnold Renderer, and so on ad nauseam. And all of this for the most part works fine. Here is the thing though, I want to install music software like Cubase, Komplete 13, Amplitube, and other VST plugins. The issue is that there is so much software that the computer runs slow. Two issues: 1. Just annoying things while generally using my computer taking forever at random times. And 2. Latency issues when playing guitar or something. And it can be a perfectly new installation of Windows 10, but it doesn't matter. It runs like a nightmare as soon as everything gets installed.

With all of that in mind, my question is this: Is there a way to have many programs installed without creating an issue on performance? For instance, could I create different users and install blocks of software on each user exclusively? And if so, would that stop all the processes from running for software that is installed for a different user? Does that make sense?

Or might it be better to have different installations of Windows? One for music software and another for video and animation software, etc?

What, if anything, could be done to allow me to use all my software, without it killing my computer's performance?

Thanks!

Solution
Hi drymetal.

Installing a lot of programs doesn't slow down the computer unless you full your drive in which case tne drive becomes slower. How full are your drives rn?

What will make the system slow down is if you have a lot of programs running at the same time. Taking RAM and if you full the RAM the system will start slowing down too.

What is your full system specs?

Maybe you can't run all the programs you want at the same time because of limited resources.

With what you said it sounds like you need a Workstation system with a high cores count, enough RAM and a decent GPU.
Hi drymetal.

Installing a lot of programs doesn't slow down the computer unless you full your drive in which case tne drive becomes slower. How full are your drives rn?

What will make the system slow down is if you have a lot of programs running at the same time. Taking RAM and if you full the RAM the system will start slowing down too.

What is your full system specs?

Maybe you can't run all the programs you want at the same time because of limited resources.

With what you said it sounds like you need a Workstation system with a high cores count, enough RAM and a decent GPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: drymetal
Solution
Feb 6, 2021
Hi drymetal.

Installing a lot of programs doesn't slow down the computer unless you full your drive in which case it becomes slower.
Thank you for the fast response. : )
My computer has 32 GB of ram, a RTX 2070 GPU, Windows is on a 1TB SSD. My hard drive doesn't generally get full. I install a lot of things like plugins for software on a different drive. One that is internal. I don't generally run a lot of software. Usually during the work day, Outlook and Teams and maybe Photoshop and Illustrator or some program depending on my task. I tend to be very minimal and sort of isolated based on tasks. Even making sure I only have one tab open in Edge or as few as possible.

I had read that software can run processes even if it isn't necessarily running. Or something like that. For instance, maybe some program might have processes running that look for updates or do this or do that. Can these processes accumulate to the point of slowing down the system?

Like Outlook is one of the programs that just starts acting very slow at times and freezes often. But on my laptops, it runs fine. And this is true if it is a new installation - but when everything gets installed.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Your PC shouldn't be slowed down by anything, 32gb of ram, win 10 has too much resources. I have reduced my startup programs but even before I did, I never noticed any ill effects of programs running. I have 32gb as well.

I had read that software can run processes even if it isn't necessarily running. Or something like that. For instance, maybe some program might have processes running that look for updates or do this or do that. Can these processes accumulate to the point of slowing down the system?

there is a section on taskbar near time with an up arrow, these are the only programs that may auto update themselves as they start with windows. I don't think programs can ask to be updated if they aren't currently running. And I think you find many of these have a choice in their settings to turn off auto updates.

Outlook, could try this - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...lication-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b

Feb 6, 2021
Then it sounds like it is in my head. Or to put it another way, from both of your comments, it sounds like I might have isolated issues where I'm seeing causation that isn't there. Thank you for that link. I reformatted my computer today and am about to start installing everything. This time, I'll address each problem individually instead of thinking the number of programs is the cause.

TRENDING THREADS