install new cpu no display

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wtBOSS

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Hey guys i recently purchase a i7 3770k to upgrade from my old processor (pentinum g860) however after installing the new CPU, it seems that there is no display.

Out of about 40tries the PC manage to start twice, and i check the DXDIAG and it shows i7 3770k, the other 38 also tries it just turns on with no display and doesn't read any usb devices ( keyboard mouse etc ) however all the fans LED lights are running.

Attempted all solutions pretty much the ram single slot etc, updated the bios, downgraded the bios everything

Then i put back in my old processor the g860 and it works instantly no hassle.. Not sure what the problem may be, it's not the ram because it's manage to work twice, sometimes it works but it restarts instantly and doesn't work at all... i been trying since boxing day (26/12/2013) please help me :( out of option )

Motherboard = Asrock B75 Pro3 - M
Ram = G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB) DDR3
PSU = Antec VP550P 550W Power Supply

Could it be a short circuit powersupply? cos the i7 does require a bit more power but imo that doesn't make sense or the motherboard cpu reader is faulty / dirty? sometimes it works which is like 1/20...

similar / same problem to this guy http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1958521/bios-display-boot-build.html

and keep in mind my old processor works INSTANTLY, my friend who have exact same build as me, i put in the i7 3770k to make sure it works, and it works instantly no hassle ... :(

jb6684

Distinguished

wtBOSS

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Like howcome randomly the motherboard reads the i7 without me unseating it?

However when I first purchase and put it in, there was no bent pins and it wasn't working then thats why I didnt sus it was the pins just got bent with me constantly interchanging them

I think something corrupted in bios idk cos sometimes the i7 works and it says fw recovery error

IT could be that one of the pins isnt making contact with the cpu properly or like you said isnt straightened enough it wont power the cpu properly if it isnt making correct contact it may post but it wont full power on

jb6684

Distinguished
If you have bent pins your toast. You need a new motherboard, Period......

The 3770K will draw way more power from those same pins. If they don't make full, perfect contact there voltages will drop (due to higher contact resistance due to reduced surface area of contact,.... basic Electrical Engineering principles....) There is basically no way to get them back to perfect alignment.....

wtBOSS

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
However when I first purchase and put it in, there was no bent pins and it wasn't working then thats why I didnt sus it was the pins just got bent with me constantly interchanging them

I think something corrupted in bios idk cos sometimes the i7 works and it says fw recovery errorust edited the post

wtBOSS

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
But u make sense maybe it was already a bit bent and I wasn't sure thus the i7 needs more power and won't work I'll buy new mb soon hopfully it works,

can u recommend a good mb under 100 that can support maybe overclock and isn't asrock, im from Australia

jb6684

Distinguished
If you believe the BIOS is corrupt, install the old CPU and RE-Flash it. That will "re-write" the BIOS completely and correct any possible errors in the bits of the BIOS..... (we'll unless the BIOS chips are fired which is highly unlikely...)

jb6684

Distinguished

wtBOSS

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
I'll bring back to store on monday so they can test cpu, I know the stock coooler is faulty so maybe the i7 is also who knows maybe I'm the unlucky odd if the say it's good then I guess it's my mb

the place should replace my stock cooler yeah because when it turns on the fan doesnt spin for 1 second then spins at max then goes down to normal

jb6684

Distinguished
You could pay the shop to install the CPU in your new motherboard, sorry mate if you have bent pins your Very unlikely to get things working steady again. They usually charge only a small fee and then you KNOW it's working before you leave the shop......

um your not toast you can find out if it has bent pins by looking at the socket

you can use a mechanical pencil just remove the lead and put the pin into the hole of pencil and slowly straighten the pin like the rest on the socket do it slowly and patiently if you have a magnifying glass look threw it when doing this as it helps avoid other pins.

this is what bent pins look like ( in this video its alot of them)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOKWeutVS-U

ive straightened pins on my older mobo before it works you just have to have patience and bend the pin back to its correct position use the others as a guide hence why magnifying glass

wtBOSS

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Yeah I did same and I also said my g860 works fine instantly just myi7 won't work post etc.. I'm going to try remove the cmos battery for one day and see if it helps

Theres probly still a bent pin it may fit into the g860 but perhaps its just to bent for the i7 to work with

wtBOSS

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Yeah I think so too, causingit to struggle reading and or supplying power but maybe removing cmos for 24 hrs like others tried might work I hope so fingers cross

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS