Install NH-D15 before or after motherboard is in the case?

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I'm sure the question has been asked but I just couldn't find anything on a search. When i read the instructions for the Maximus X Hero motherboard, it shows the cooler being installed before mounting the motherboard in the case. It obviously doesn't reflect the fact that this cooler is huge but I'm not sure I'll be able to access the screws of the MB after placing it in the case if the cooler is already on. Suggestions?

Solution
BEFORE or AFTER... I think I did mine after.

BEFORE video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qq9syfjxc8

First of all, unless things have changed there should be a small, metal BACKPLATE piece that goes on the rear of the motherboard to create the MOUNTING bracket for the main heatsink.

THAT must be done BEFORE the motherboard is placed in the case even if you add the main heatsink after.

*I believe once the main mount is done the large heatsink component (without fan yet) is simply placed on it and you then use TWO SCREWS and try not to move the heatsink around too much but a little is fine (due to the thermal paste).

I believe I've done it both ways with that cooler.
If you install the motherboard first, you will not easily be able, or not be able at all to install the backplate for your NH-D15, with most computer cases. It is pretty much imperative that you do install your processor and heatsink before installing the motherboard.

BEFORE or AFTER... I think I did mine after.

BEFORE video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qq9syfjxc8

First of all, unless things have changed there should be a small, metal BACKPLATE piece that goes on the rear of the motherboard to create the MOUNTING bracket for the main heatsink.

THAT must be done BEFORE the motherboard is placed in the case even if you add the main heatsink after.

*I believe once the main mount is done the large heatsink component (without fan yet) is simply placed on it and you then use TWO SCREWS and try not to move the heatsink around too much but a little is fine (due to the thermal paste).

I believe I've done it both ways with that cooler.

Solution

Install the backplate, then once the MB is in the case you can install heatsink.

Easier that way and you have easy access to put in the screws and attach the cables to the MB etc.

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Just for anyone else who is looking to do this later. With my particular case (Define R6), I was able to mount the MB first because there is a hole to access the back of the MB after mounting. I ran into a different kind of problem though. I installed my memory (G.Skill Trident Z RGB) but once that was done, I was unable to mount the CPU cooler. At least, not in the horizontal configuration I wanted. The only way it would fit was vertical. Not ideal but on this build, I am using fans at the top of the case blowing out so with the NH-D15 sitting vertical, perhaps some of that heat will rise. Maybe not. Can't tell with the two fans installed, exactly where all that heat is going to go. There is only one fan on the back but I have two fans at the bottom pushing up, two fans at the front pushing back and then as I mentioned, two fans at the top pushing out. Here's hoping!

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Well, after giving my testimony above, I had to tear it all down anyway because I had an M.2 card that needed to be installed just below the CPU. It requires access to a cover plate that screws over it. The NH-D15 blocks it completely. Something else worth pointing out to anyone installing the Maximus X Hero with the NH-D15 is that it's a very good idea to run your fan cables, 8-pin CPU cable and anything else that will be blocked once you install this mammoth cooler.