[SOLVED] Install NIC in processor lane or PCH lane?

gaming lexus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
Hi all

I have a Dell T20 server and I have just bought another NIC that I'm going to install. Looking at the lane setup in the manual page 45, I don't know if there would be any detriment to installing the NIC in slot 4 which is connected to the PCH rather than in slot 1 which is connected to processor at x16.

FWIW, CPU is Xeon E3-1225 v3. NIC is Intel EXPI9402PTBLK and seems as though it can operate at full bandwidth on a x4 lane.

If there's not going to be any any performance dropoff using the lane connected to PCH, I would rather use this to save the full bandwidth lane for something else down the line (if required).

Any advice gratefully received :)

Mar 30, 2020
Dual port 1GE card, can live fine in a PCH slot.
So that other people can make informed decisions for similar questions based of this post, what resources or standards are you using to determine this?

If someone is curious about a quad port 1GBe or dual port 10GBe, how do they determine this?

kanewolf

Titan
So that other people can make informed decisions for similar questions based of this post, what resources or standards are you using to determine this?

If someone is curious about a quad port 1GBe or dual port 10GBe, how do they determine this?
You look at the number of PCIe lanes, the generation of PCIe and the bandwidth per lane. -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#History_and_revisions And remember that chart is is megaBYTES -- capital "B" ...

Reactions: rootshell84