Question Install NVMe M.2 drive alongside Intel Optane optimized main drive?

Jul 27, 2019
I have been running Intel Optane using a 32gb intel optane drive with a 3TB HD for a little while now. I want to speed up some of my loading times for gaming and so purchased a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 drive to use as an alternate drive. I plan to boot Windows to the Optane 3TB HD, and then install the more intensive games on the Samsung 970 EVO.

The problem is that the Samsung 970 EVO M.2 drive doesn't get recognized by my motherboard. Already updated BIOS. Installing NVMe drivers doesn't help. Running Samsung Magician doesn't help (It actually can see the drive, but tells me it isn't compatible 🤔).

I'm starting to think you can't run Intel Optane RAID and standard NVMe M.2 drives at the same time.... Does anyone know for sure? Is there a way to get both working concurrently?

I'm running an ASRock Z270 Killer motherboard.

Jul 31, 2019
I have been running Intel Optane using a 32gb intel optane drive with a 3TB HD for a little while now. I want to speed up some of my loading times for gaming and so purchased a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 drive to use as an alternate drive. I plan to boot Windows to the Optane 3TB HD, and then install the more intensive games on the Samsung 970 EVO.

The problem is that the Samsung 970 EVO M.2 drive doesn't get recognized by my motherboard. Already updated BIOS. Installing NVMe drivers doesn't help. Running Samsung Magician doesn't help (It actually can see the drive, but tells me it isn't compatible 🤔).

I'm starting to think you can't run Intel Optane RAID and standard NVMe M.2 drives at the same time.... Does anyone know for sure? Is there a way to get both working concurrently?

I'm running an ASRock Z270 Killer motherboard.
Im waiting on a good reply from this one, I have a pair of 1Tb 970's and a 118gb 800p, I reconfigured at least a dozen times trying to find that sweet spot. I I have been able to use the RST optane to group and raid drives after but it ends up with losses, or basically no gains. if I can just get the Q1 and latency of the 800p, combined with the random speeds on the 970's I feel like im just missing something! ugh neversatified. If someone has the magic recipe for this one please let me know!

I7 9700
MSI 390 Godlike
Two 1Tb 970 Evo plus
Intel 118Gb 800p
Two 500gb 860 Evo's
2TB WD Black
32Gb 3200mhz