Question Install O/S on PCIe 5 or PCIe 4?

3L6research

Prominent
Apr 1, 2021
I am currently building a new home computer based around an Intel i9-13900K and ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero MOBO.
I plan to use two SSD M.2 NVMe sockets – one for the Windows 10 O/S and my applications, and the other for my data.
My MOBO has one PCIe 5.0 x 4 socket and all others are PCIe 4.0 x 4.
For greatest speed and efficiency, where should I install my O/S and applications? The PCIe 5.0 socket? Or a PCIe 4.0 socket?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Unless you have a PCIe 5.0 drive, not much point.

You may want to look carefully at the restrictions that has. It is an add-in card and will take PCIe lanes away from other things if you use it. And if I am reading it correctly it would only be PCIe 5.0 in the main x16 slots. So it either takes the place of the GPU, or cuts the GPU bandwidth in half.

Might want to ask if you need such a high end motherboard. How many drives are you planning for? Might make more sense to get a cheaper board and spend the money on larger SSDs.

I am currently building a new home computer based around an Intel i9-13900K and ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero MOBO.
I plan to use two SSD M.2 NVMe sockets – one for the Windows 10 O/S and my applications, and the other for my data.
For greatest speed and efficiency, where should I install my O/S and applications? The PCIe 5.0 socket? Or a PCIe 4.0 socket?

It likely wouldn't make any difference at all when sitting behind the keyboard.

USAFRet

Titan
What specific drives?

In reality, though, you wouldn't notice any difference.

3L6research

Prominent
Apr 1, 2021
In answer to a couple of the points that have been raised:
I am OK with the fact that the use of the Hyper Card that ASUS provides with this MOBO (in order to make a PCIe 5.0 socket available) cuts the GPU b/w in half
The PCIe 5.0 socket will be populated with a PCIe 5.0 M.2 SSD when they become generally available – something like the Gigabyte Aorus Gen5 10000 SSD
And maybe try a WD Black SN850X w/ heatsink in the PCIe 4.0 socket
But the question is really more: which generates the greater benefit from being housed on PCIe 5.0 hardware – data or OS & applications?

USAFRet

Titan
But the question is really more: which generates the greater benefit from being housed on PCIe 5.0 hardware – data or OS & applications?
It really doesn't make a difference, because you don't use either in isolation.

OS on the faster drive still has to talk to applications or data on the slower drive.
And vice versa.

And the only time PCIe 3.0-4.0-5.0 make a difference is copying large chunks of sequential data between like devices

5.0 to 5.0 is 'faster' than 4.0 to 4.0

5.0 to 4.0 (or the reverse) can only be at 4.0 speed.

But, if you were to have 2 otherwise identical systems, configured with one as the 5.0 being the OS drive and the other as the 4.0 being the OS drive....I defy anyone to tell, in a blind test, which was which.
WE are well into diminishing returns.

3L6research

Prominent
Apr 1, 2021
It really doesn't make a difference, because you don't use either in isolation.

OS on the faster drive still has to talk to applications or data on the slower drive.
And vice versa.

And the only time PCIe 3.0-4.0-5.0 make a difference is copying large chunks of sequential data between like devices

5.0 to 5.0 is 'faster' than 4.0 to 4.0

5.0 to 4.0 (or the reverse) can only be at 4.0 speed.

But, if you were to have 2 otherwise identical systems, configured with one as the 5.0 being the OS drive and the other as the 4.0 being the OS drive....I defy anyone to tell, in a blind test, which was which.
WE are well into diminishing returns.

3L6research

Prominent
Apr 1, 2021
Very good points. What then pops into my mind is the thought that what is the point of being able to mount just one PCIe 5.0 device on your MOBO? It seems you would need to mount at least two 5.0 devices to realize significant gains.