Install of ATI Radeon 4650 (2nd graphics card) corrupts ATI R7 240 function and ATI CCC. Help?

dgbeaver

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014
MB ASUS P8 Z77 V LK. 600W PS. Three PCIE16 slots. Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit. Used the 4650 for two years. All fine. Supported two monitors. Purchased Samsung LED S27D360. Installed R7 240, upgraded AMD drivers/ATI CCC. Was using two monitors (ACER 2nd monitor) as extended desktop. HDMI on Samsung and DVI on ACER. All great. Decided to install 4650 as second card to power third monitor. Installed in second PCIE16 slot, used VGA output. Powered up. All went BAD! Windows booted in low resolution and desktop was mirrored on 1st and 2nd monitors, driven by R7. Windows screen resolution function did not see second monitor. 4650 did not power third monitor. ATI CCC reduced to only HydraGrid function, no other options. Device manager indicates Code 43 on R7. Removed 4650. Rebooted. Able to increase resolution to optimum but still same issues and now second monitor receives no signal. Completely lost on this and how to solve.

Solution
The HD 7870 would definitely meet your goal as far as running 3 monitors in either eyefinity (1 large display) or as 3 separate monitors ( what i have now) but you will need an active adapter with my setup. You can have a total of two monitors connected by DVI/HDMI/VGA, then any additional monitors must be display port or use an active display port adapter. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030.

So you might want to do a little research before buying a new GPU to find one that meets your needs. I know that monitors with display ports are generally more expensive aswell.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hg70ovj83g3g787/desktop%20pic.png?dl=0

dgbeaver

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014

Thanks you for the reply. The architectures are different if I understand the literature. R700 for 4650, GCN for R7 240. I understood that you could not do a Crossfire setup unless the cards were the same (even the R7 box states this). I went to a local computer big box store with all the technical info and was told that the install of the two cards should be "no problem".

Apristian30

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Hey,

I was bored and kinda experimented adding a forth monitor and a 2nd video card i think its a 4650 aswell, but i had a different effect on my machine. At first all was well and my monitor actually worked. It seemed like it removed my AMD drivers also (ccc) but all 4 of my monitors worked with the only flaw that it changed the resolution of my 2nd monitor kinda like you mentioned above. The 4th monitor and the other 2 that weren't affected ran at their optimal resolutions.

After i tried re-installing the latest drivers on my machine again that's when my 4th monitor stopped working. My 3 main monitors are working as intended but now i cant get the 4th monitor that's on the 2nd video card to work. They are completely different cards as well HD 7870 and a 4650 i think...

dgbeaver

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014

Thank you for experimenting. It is odd that cards with the same processor can not coexist. All I would like to do is have three monitors available to me, not for gaming, nor as one large desktop, but to have different programs in diff. locations. The 4650 would not support driving three outputs, nor could I get the iGPU to power the third. Do you think that the HD 7870 would meet my goal?

Apristian30

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
The HD 7870 would definitely meet your goal as far as running 3 monitors in either eyefinity (1 large display) or as 3 separate monitors ( what i have now) but you will need an active adapter with my setup. You can have a total of two monitors connected by DVI/HDMI/VGA, then any additional monitors must be display port or use an active display port adapter. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030.

So you might want to do a little research before buying a new GPU to find one that meets your needs. I know that monitors with display ports are generally more expensive aswell.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hg70ovj83g3g787/desktop%20pic.png?dl=0

Solution

dgbeaver

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014

Thanks. I thought I had the solution! The solution may just be an adapter to convert from Dp (new card ) to VGA or HDMI (on 3rd monitor). Agreed, I will do some more homework.