[SOLVED] Install os to 500gb 970 evo m2 or 120gb 850 evo sata 3 ssd?

Jan 3, 2020
Hello, I have received all the parts to upgrade my current computer to a ryzen 5 3600x on a x570 mobo except for the new 970 evo 500gb nvme m2 ssd, which should show up in a few days.
I'm currently stuck on whether to install my fresh operating system onto my old 120gb samsung 850 evo sataIII ssd or if I should install it onto the samsung 970 evo 500gb that will arrive soon.
My main intentions are gaming.

Jan 3, 2020
Wow that was quick, walked out for a leak and by the time I returned you had already replied, lol. Sorry to ask but why dont you reccomend installing the os on the 120gb? just to clarify. Is it because I want my os on the fastest drive and everything will flow better from there?

Jan 3, 2020
Also I plan on buying a sabrent rocket 4.0 1tb m2 down the line when I can justify the cost, would I be better suffering with my old rig until then and put my os on that? Honestly not sure if i can look at an unbuilt pc that long tho

USAFRet

Titan
Wow that was quick, walked out for a leak and by the time I returned you had already replied, lol. Sorry to ask but why dont you reccomend installing the os on the 120gb? just to clarify. Is it because I want my os on the fastest drive and everything will flow better from there?
A 120GB drive is TooSmall, no matter what type.

Yes, it will install to that drive. And even work for a while.
In a very few months, though...you'll be back here wondering what to do about "I'm outta drive space! Help!"

I see that here every day, and from past experience on my own systems.

Jan 3, 2020
I understand that completely, as it stands on my current rig no matter how much I divert to other drives theres always more finding it's way on my c drive. I also have a 240gb 850 evo I had as a game install only drive, should I use that instead of the 500gb m2?
I know they're small but back when I bought these drives they went cheap. Bought the 120gb for $120 canadian way back and a year or so later seen the 250gb on sale for $120 and thought "it cant get much better than that I better not miss this opportunity." Lmao . How things have changed

Jan 23, 2020
Hello, I have received all the parts to upgrade my current computer to a ryzen 5 3600x on a x570 mobo except for the new 970 evo 500gb nvme m2 ssd, which should show up in a few days.
I'm currently stuck on whether to install my fresh operating system onto my old 120gb samsung 850 evo sataIII ssd or if I should install it onto the samsung 970 evo 500gb that will arrive soon.
My main intentions are gaming.
Definitely rid yourself of the 850 EVO as quickly as possible. My drive was failing for about 2 months (I didn't realize it) before it crashed right in the middle of a long holiday weekend. Spent two weeks rebuilding my PC and had to also buy a new copy of Windows 10.

USAFRet

Titan
Definitely rid yourself of the 850 EVO as quickly as possible. My drive was failing for about 2 months (I didn't realize it) before it crashed right in the middle of a long holiday weekend. Spent two weeks rebuilding my PC and had to also buy a new copy of Windows 10.
???

Meanwhile< I have 2x 850 EVO's here.
1 (250GB) in my wifes system from Apr 2015, and 1 500GB in my system as the C drive from Aug 2016.

Samsung drives are among the most reliable of consumer grade SSD's.

And having "to buy a new copy of Windows 10" was all on you. A new install on a different drive in the same system does not incur a license deactivation.

Lastly...dead drives happen (not often with a Samsung drive, though). Loss of a physical drive should never incur loss of data. Backups are your friend.