Question Install SSD as main drive, advice and input.

Deb_55

Honorable
May 14, 2016
I have a 3 year old Dell XPS system it is basic, 3.5 HDD, video card, 16gb ram. When I set it up I used a migration tool and for Win 10 from my old PC. I have since updated to Win 11. The problem is the PC works like a slug. What I’d like to do is install a SSD as my main drive and start from the ground up clean and hopefully fast. What do I need to consider in this possible upgrade? What prep? It has been years since I did any hardware installation or upgrades myself, except for my home network so I’d probably enlist a local PC repair shop, what can I expect to spend on this? Thanks

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
do you have an m.2 slot or are you needing a sata ssd?

they are priced about the same but it is good to know which you need. other than that, nothing special. you install it, disconnect EVERY ssd/hdd except for this new one, and then do a fresh windows install.

once windows is up and running, then you reconnect the other drive, format it to remove the windows OS and partitions and use it for data storage

knowing the EXACT XPS model you have will help us to know what you do and don't have in the system. :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
I’d probably enlist a local PC repair shop, what can I expect to spend on this? Thanks

don't know what your local repair shop would charge you. depends on your area really. i'd charge $50 to do it and i'd hand it back to you with windows running, updated and ready to go. if you desired i'd even set up steam and get some stuff downloaded since i got nice fast internet access :)

i'd expect closer to $100 if you walk in and seem as you don't have a clue what needs to be done. it's pretty simple though no matter whether it is m.2 or sata. and a fresh windows install is not hard either. plenty of step by step tutorials out there to walk you through it.

What is the model of your XPS system?

First of all, ANY ssd for windows will absolutely transform the performance of your pc.
If you want to keep things simple, you can clone your windows 3.5" HDD to a ssd and preserve all of your software and settings.
The alternative is a clean re-install of windows as well as your apps and settings.

Go to crucial and enter the make/model of your pc.
You should get a list of compatible ssd upgrades.
They will be either the m.2 size(like a stick of gum) or a normal 2.5" size.
You will need a ssd that is large enough to hold the used portion of the C drive plus whatever expansion you want.
My preference is to use the Samsung ssd migration app.
App and instructions here:

Deb_55

Honorable
May 14, 2016
Does your motherboard have a M.2 NVME drive?

What is your budget?

Any preffered brands?

How many Sata ports and SATA power ports on your motherboard?

I hadn’t really thought about a budget, a couple hundred wouldn’t hurt.

No brand preference, but I want a quality drive 1tb is probably sufficient. I’d use the old 3.5 drive for storage.

I have one M.2 slot, I am not really at all familiar with this type of drive tho. There are 2 SATA ports for 2.5” drives and the single SATA slot with the 3.5” drive in use.

Deb_55

Honorable
May 14, 2016
I hadn’t really thought about a budget, a couple hundred wouldn’t hurt.

No brand preference, but I want a quality drive 1tb is probably sufficient. I’d use the old 3.5 drive for storage.

I have one M.2 slot, I am not really at all familiar with this type of drive tho. There are 2 SATA ports for 2.5” drives and the single SATA slot with the 3.5” drive in use.
What is the model of your XPS system?

First of all, ANY ssd for windows will absolutely transform the performance of your pc.
If you want to keep things simple, you can clone your windows 3.5" HDD to a ssd and preserve all of your software and settings.
The alternative is a clean re-install of windows as well as your apps and settings.

Go to crucial and enter the make/model of your pc.
You should get a list of compatible ssd upgrades.
They will be either the m.2 size(like a stick of gum) or a normal 2.5" size.
You will need a ssd that is large enough to hold the used portion of the C drive plus whatever expansion you want.
My preference is to use the Samsung ssd migration app.
App and instructions here:
My PC is an XPS 8940

Deb_55

Honorable
May 14, 2016
I really would like to clone my drive, it would be the easiest solution, I have a docking station that can use a 2.5” SSD so I could clone my drive easily. I only hope that my Windows installation isn’t part of the problem. I’m tinkering today to see if I can smooth things out pre swap. I feel like I can handle a simple swap myself.

Deb_55

Honorable
May 14, 2016
don't know what your local repair shop would charge you. depends on your area really. i'd charge $50 to do it and i'd hand it back to you with windows running, updated and ready to go. if you desired i'd even set up steam and get some stuff downloaded since i got nice fast internet access :)

i'd expect closer to $100 if you walk in and seem as you don't have a clue what needs to be done. it's pretty simple though no matter whether it is m.2 or sata. and a fresh windows install is not hard either. plenty of step by step tutorials out there to walk you through it.

Thanks for the encouragement, I have done simple things like this in the past and I think I can manage. The price for a 1tb SATA drive is really reasonable.

USAFRet

Titan
I really would like to clone my drive, it would be the easiest solution, I have a docking station that can use a 2.5” SSD so I could clone my drive easily. I only hope that my Windows installation isn’t part of the problem. I’m tinkering today to see if I can smooth things out pre swap. I feel like I can handle a simple swap myself.
"The problem is the PC works like a slug. "

If you did some sort of "migration" from a whole different system, I would strongly suggest a full wipe and reinstall of the OS.

Cloning to a different drive just moves the problem to a different drive.

Reactions: Deb_55

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'd do the clone with the ssd installed internally.

when it is installed and initialized in windows it will be empty and ready for the clone to happen.

considering it is running slow and this is an install from an old system, i'd highly suggest a fresh install to get it where it should be. just removes anything residual that might be causing issues.

Reactions: Deb_55

USAFRet

Titan
But if you must do the clone, thusly:

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Both drives must be the same partitioning scheme, either MBR or GPT
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung target SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, you may need to install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up

Verify the system boots with ONLY the current "C drive" connected.
If not, we have to fix that first.

Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

[Ignore this section if using the SDM. It does this automatically]
If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specify the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing
[/end ignore]

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD. This is not optional.
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD

(swapping cables is irrelevant with NVMe drives, but DO disconnect the old drive for this next part)
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Again, what is the make/model of your pc ??
M.2 is a size spec. About the size of a stick of gum.
Many motherboards will accept either a sata m.2 or a pcie m.2. Pcie is better.
It comes in sata or pcie types so you really want to buy the correct one.
This would be a pcie ssd:
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-970-evo-plus-1tb/p/N82E16820147743?Item=9SIB76SJ6V0647&quicklink=true
This would be a sata m.2:
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-evo-series-1tb/p/N82E16820147678?Item=9SIAADFAW38362

As I envision it, you install a new m.2 Samsung ssd in the slot.
Download the Samsung migration aid.
When loaded it will show both your C drive and the ssd.
You run the aid to copy the C drive to the ssd. This takes a while, perhaps 4 hours for 1tb of data.
When done, remove the HDD and boot.
I would repurpose the HDD as an external backup connected via a usb attached enclosure.

Deb_55

Honorable
May 14, 2016
Again, what is the make/model of your pc ??
M.2 is a size spec. About the size of a stick of gum.
Many motherboards will accept either a sata m.2 or a pcie m.2. Pcie is better.
It comes in sata or pcie types so you really want to buy the correct one.
This would be a pcie ssd:
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-970-evo-plus-1tb/p/N82E16820147743?Item=9SIB76SJ6V0647&quicklink=true
This would be a sata m.2:
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-evo-series-1tb/p/N82E16820147678?Item=9SIAADFAW38362

As I envision it, you install a new m.2 Samsung ssd in the slot.
Download the Samsung migration aid.
When loaded it will show both your C drive and the ssd.
You run the aid to copy the C drive to the ssd. This takes a while, perhaps 4 hours for 1tb of data.
When done, remove the HDD and boot.
I would repurpose the HDD as an external backup connected via a usb attached enclosure.
This is a Dell Studio XPS 8940 the M.2 slot is SATA and there are 2- 2.5” in drive connectors/bays and the single 3.5” bay in use. Since any type of SSD and a clean install is going to transform this hulk, I will probably just go with a 1tb 2.5” drive. I reached out to a local shop in town and he will charge me $65 to pop it in, clean install windows and reformat my 3.5” drive for storage and he will do it in a day. I know I can get a Samsung or a Crucial 1 tb drive for around $70, so I’m in for my $200 budget. I’ll let y’all know how it works out.