Install win7 on SSD?

bashyy1

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Hi All, Hope your well.

It's a query that may or may not have been answered before, i have had a look through already but I'd like confirmation.

I've just bought my first SSD drive (sandisk 128gb) (i want it for faster boot times and game loading screens)

I've currently got all my files/settings saved on my HDD currently, just wondering what my options would be. Would I need to re-install the games/windows onto the SSD?

Problem is i've lost my windows disc. Can i transfer it across somehow?

Whats best? Install windows and games on SSD(how can i do this without the disc) and leave my current HDD for storage?

I'm a bit of a noob, please dont flame

Solution

What you need to do is get an external hard drive to back up all your data, then remove stuff from your current hard drive until it's small enough that you can fit everything on to the SSD. Hook up your SSD but leave the HDD as is, use the software to clone it. This should allow you to run off the SSD normally without any need to reinstall windows. I would personally just reinstall all software and games just to ensure everything is nice and clean.

What you need to do is get an external hard drive to back up all your data, then remove stuff from your current hard drive until it's small enough that you can fit everything on to the SSD. Hook up your SSD but leave the HDD as is, use the software to clone it. This should allow you to run off the SSD normally without any need to reinstall windows. I would personally just reinstall all software and games just to ensure everything is nice and clean.

Solution