Install Windows 10 again on new motherboard

ivan02

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
I have a question. I'm changing from an ATX case to a mini ITX case, so I ordered the case and a mini-ITX motherboard and I'll be selling my old case and mobo. The rest of the components (CPU, PSU, everything) will be the same in the my ITX case.
I assume it's possible to install my copy of Windows 10 on this new motherboard?

I bought a copy of Windows 10 (so not the free upgrade, but the DVD), it's a "Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64Bit UK OEM". Now I read that you can only transfer Retail versions onto a different PC/mobo.. that would be stupid that you have to buy a new Windows copy if you change your motherboard (especially since the Windows DVD costed me 100 euros..). Or can I somehow deactivate the license on my old motherboard, to then activate it again on the new mobo?
Thx for any help!

Solution

The DVD has no idea if you installed it on any computers. It just looks for a valid license key from a list it has stored on the DVD. Once Windows installs it will have to activate online (or over the phone) or it will lock up in 3 days. Activation happens over the internet and is...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Well, its hard to say,... in the past you would have been stuck but Microsoft seem more lenient towards transferring OEM licences across, and in about 2 weeks it will be a lot easier still as they removing the motherboard restriction entirely.

What I would suggest is try it, its 50/50 now that it will work. If you can wait 2 weeks until the August update then it might be even easier for you.

magni_4570

Reputable
May 6, 2016
I have a similar situation myself. I currently have a retail copy of Windows 10 Home 64 and it is currenlty installed on my computer. I want to upgrade my MOBO. I was curious if I had to buy another copy of windows 10 for the new MOBO? So I contacted Microsoft via online Chat and they told me the Windows OS is registered to the current MOBO that I have but if I swap out a MOBO that I can transfer my existing copy of Windows 10 Home 64 to the new MOBO. Once I swap the MOBO out I would have 30 days to activate the Windows 10 Home 64 bit. To do that I would have to contact them via Phone.

ivan02

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
But won't it just install Windows on my new motherboard if I install with the same DVD again, I mean, how would the DVD know that it's previously been installed on a different motherboard? Or do you have to activate Windows for it to work properly or something?
I don't even know if I activated the license it on my current system.. or does it activate automatically? What's "activating" anyway? Is that simply like registering the product online?

Colif

Win 11 Master
activation is auto, it would have happened soon after you put your win 10 licence key into the installer.

When you did that, a code that is created using 10 different parts of old machine + your licence key were recorded in a database by Microsoft.

So when you install windows 10 on new PC and enter that licence key, Win 10 will check that database and see that the motherboard is different and may/may not activate itself.

the installer can be used as many times as you like, the licence key is the special part that is unique. And with the way win 10 works now, you only need to know licence key first time you install (though if its retail, keep it safe) it on a pc as that database I mentioned makes it easier to reinstall as on screen where you input licence key, there is a option to say "I don't have one" and if win 10 been on that pc already, it will auto activate.

MyHD4870x2Melted

Reputable
Oct 21, 2015

The DVD has no idea if you installed it on any computers. It just looks for a valid license key from a list it has stored on the DVD. Once Windows installs it will have to activate online (or over the phone) or it will lock up in 3 days. Activation happens over the internet and is "automatic" unless there is issues with your activation then you have to call or go online and activate manually. Activation tells Microsoft that license (xxx-xxx-xxx) is attached to the computer (motherboard) with the ID of (xxxx-xxx) so they know your not running a pirated copy.

With XP any version of Windows could be activated on any MB. You could even activate OEM versions by just by calling and confirm it was installed on 1 PC.

Things got a bit more complicated with Windows 7 but pretty much what you would expect. OEM versions were locked to OEM hardware and retail (which usually allowed activation on up to 3 devices I think) could be activated on any hardware and moved to new hardware. We have a mass volume license of Windows 7 and have used it for years. We have installed it on a ton of computers but we have never gone over our limit because older computers somehow deactivate after awhile if they do not connect to Microsoft servers for a long time. I do not know how long but it might be like Windows Server that can be transferred to new hardware every 90 days.

Window's 10 should be the same if not similar. OEM Windows will give you grief if you move it to non-OEM hardware, but retail should allow you to move to different hardware assuming you do not have multiple computers(over your license limit) connected to the internet at the same time.

I do not know if Microsoft has implemented any type of Windows Licence Manager that would allow you to view/deactivate any license you have linked to a Microsoft Account.

Solution