Scar The Silent

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
Hi all,

So, I'm doing a new PC build. It's going to have a Ryzen 3700X and an Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard. For that reason, I won't be able to start building until they release.

Now, I've already purchased every other item for the build, which means I have my new 1TB NVMe drive sitting around.

I was considering putting it in my current motherboard and then installing Windows 10 and starting the laborious process of downloading all the games and software I will want on it. My internet connection is far from excellent. That way when I get all the other parts in I can just get up and running straight away after just a couple of device driver installs.

The only thing that I was thinking is, will I end up bloating it with drivers for devices that I ultimately won't have in a couple of weeks. Should I be patient and wait for updates and downloads after I've built, or should I get the headstart?

I appreciate your input.

Lutfij

Titan
Install OS after you assemble the system. Simply because the OS tends to be finnicky if it's changed between system's. There's also the matter about drivers being needed for the platform you install the OS on, hence why you install the OS after you build your rig.

Oh, always make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard prior to installing the OS and use Windows Media Creation Tools to create your bootable installer prior to installing.

Scar The Silent

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
Thanks for the reply. I certainly wouldn't activate Windows until after the build, I know the problems that could cause. The drivers was my main concern though, so I will take your advice.

Probably my best bet would be to use WMCT for the installer for minimal updating and I could always predownload games onto a secondary hard drive in my current PC and then use Steam or Oculus to move them over to boot drive afterwards. I'll also pre-download offline driver installers where possible and store them on the secondary drive.

TRENDING THREADS