[SOLVED] Install windows 10 on wiped Mac 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kian_6

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
Hello! I have an old Mac from 2007 and it is blocked at 10.7 i believe (the one before lion or leopard) so I wiped it and installed ubuntu on it. I was dissatisfied with ubuntu and wiped the hard drive again. I would like to run windows 10 or 8 or 7 on it. I know it is possible to do it with this version of a mac since there are people that have done it on Youtube and forums. However all of these require bootcamp. Is it possible to install any version of windows between 7 and 10 that does not require any kind of os pre installed on the mac? If not, I can reinstall os x 10.7 or something and check if bootcamp is on it. I am not sure it is tho... Almost all functions on the mac are blocked by apple so I cant even run a safari update.

McHenryB

Admirable
It's not quite that simple.

But here is an article that walks you through the process: http://fgimian.github.io/blog/2016/03/12/installing-windows-10-on-a-mac-without-bootcamp/

This uses Boot Camp to get the appropriate drivers from Apple. Without these you are going to find a number of things don't work properly. Do you have access to another Mac? If not you would be advised to reinstall OS X to get hold of the drivers.

Kian_6

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

I do not have access to another mac. And mine is too old so i doubt it has bootcamp or software that is compatible with it that could help the installation...

GrowTFM

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
You can actually download Boot Camp drivers from Apple https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1630?locale=en_US . That one is compatible with your iMac.

Kian_6

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

My mac is Os X 10.4.11. There is nothing.

Kian_6

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

It is the mid 2007 one. I know, it's old, but I like the challenge of making old things work again. Its a hobby.

Macs are manufactured by Apple for use with Apple software and messing with that involves violating their Intellectual Property. That's why Tom's is very cautious about the way Hackintosh threads develop.

That said, why not simply reinstall a Mac OS and use a VM to run any versions of Windows you like. Vista would be a really retrograde step; you'd be better off with XPSP3.

Maybe Mint or Kali would have been better options than Ubuntu.

McHenryB

Admirable
I don't think there is any problem with this discussion. Installation of Windows on MAcs is supported by Apple, so can hardly be a questionable activity.

This is not about Hackintoshes and not about breaching Apple's EULA.

TBH, I think the OP's best option is to continue to use Ubuntu, which is still within support - unlike the OS X or Windows options.

Status
Not open for further replies.