Install windows 8.1 32 bit on windows 8.1 64 bit

estv

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
Hi, I have 2 laptops, my newer laptop is using windows 8.1 64 bit and my older one is using windows 7 32 bit. I want to install 8.1 32 bit on my older laptop using my newer laptop. Is it possible?
Thank you in advance!

A question: Do you mean that you want to upgrade the OLDER machine from 32-bits to 64-bits? You miswrote "I want to install 8.1 32 bit on my older laptop," but that's the way it already is. If this is the case, what make and model is the old one? Some machines simply don't have 64-bit processors and won't run a 64-bit OS.

"...using my newer laptop." You can't transfer the OS from one laptop to the other. You could certainly do a clean install of windows 64-bit on the32-bit machine if you wanted to. The main risk is failing activation. You should also have a complete backup of your drive so that, if the process fails for any reason, you can restore to where you were with 32-bit. You do know that the process will destroy any data (pictures, documents, anything) that you have on the machine, do you not? You will need a windows distribution disc or downloaded ISO.

From a valid source only, please. Note that discussions of torrenting will be removed.

estv

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015

Thank you for your response :)

No sir, I didn't miswrote it. Here's the situation, I have macbook white 13.3" (I bought it in 2009), its specification only suitable for 32-bit OS. I have already backed up the data, now I want to wipe the whole OS (both mac OS and currently win7 OS), then install win 8.1 instead. So, I format the whole hard disk and since there's no more mac OS, there is no "bridge" that connect the start up with any OS anymore, including if I put win 8.1 installation dvd. I've read in some article about installing OS in hard disk (external hard disk) using other working system such as pc or laptop. Then I've got an idea to instal win 8.1 32-bit on my wiped out mac book white internal hdd, using my other laptop, which has win 8.1 64-bit. But I don't know if is it possible, since I can't find any valid source to guide me. And here I am, hoping get the solution in here.

My best guess at to the "bridge" that you describe is the boot sector. Keep in mind that my experience is in Intel systems with Windows; the Mac bay be different. You may want to post the question in the Mac forum, or a brief question with a link to this thread.

On the Intel / Windows side, if there is no boot sector then the installation would create it. Clearly that's not happening, because if it did all you would have to do is a Windows install and you would get a working boot sector.

You might try re-inintializing the drive, which will wipe any existing boot sector. Or download a bootable tool to wipe a boot sector.

Anyone with Mac experience, please? Can Windows even be installed on the bare metal?