[SOLVED] install windows on new harddrive

Texancowboy

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014
My harddrive went out on my windows 10 computer. I have no data backed up. I'd like to purchase a new HD, but I'm not sure how to install windows 10. Do I need to buy a new windows 10 cd? What's the process? I heard that I can download an ISO windows 10 onto a flash drive, but how do I get the license key for my system?

Solution

A reinstall on a new drive in this same system does not require your license key.
When it asks for that, skip that section.

Create a WIn 10 USB or DVD here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

For the install, read through this a couple of times to get familiar with the process:
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

USAFRet

Titan

A reinstall on a new drive in this same system does not require your license key.
When it asks for that, skip that section.

Create a WIn 10 USB or DVD here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

For the install, read through this a couple of times to get familiar with the process:
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Solution
Do you have the original install media (CD, USB)?

if so I think you are all set.

Power down....take out the old drive....install the new drive.

Make sure the Windows media is connected to the USB port or in the DVD/CD drive.

Power up.

Go to the BIOS.

Set it to boot from the Windows install media.

...and now Windows should lead you through the install process.

I don't think the licensing thing matters if you are using the same motherboard.

Texancowboy

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014
Thanks for the replies. By some miracle, I was able to boot up the computer with the old HD. It's really slow and cpu usage is at 96-100%. If I get a new HD, is there any way I can transfer the data over from my old one?

USAFRet

Titan

Maybe, but in this case not recommended.
You'd just be transferring probably corrupt data to the new drive.