[SOLVED] Install Windows on SSD

Dec 20, 2018
Hi, I currently have windows 10 installed on an hdd but want the operating system on an SSD. Can i just unplug the HDD then install windows on the SSD then plug the HDD back in and format the HDD? Would that work? or is there a better way? Thanks

Solution
Hi, I currently have windows 10 installed on an hdd but want the operating system on an SSD. Can i just unplug the HDD then install windows on the SSD then plug the HDD back in and format the HDD? Would that work? or is there a better way? Thanks

Yes, that would work. Helps to make sure HDD isn't in boot order after you add it back after install.

might need to do this to format drive after
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now
this restarts PC in a blue menu
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt
Type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press enter
This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive...

Colif

Win 11 Master

Yes, that would work. Helps to make sure HDD isn't in boot order after you add it back after install.

might need to do this to format drive after
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now
this restarts PC in a blue menu
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt
Type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press enter
This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe
If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter
The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.

Solution