Install XP on sata drive

Joe_123

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
Hey guys, I have an old nforce chipset 650i on an msi p6n sli mobo and am having issues installing and getting to the desktop of Windows XP 32 bit

I do not have an ahci setting in bios.

Basically the first issue was that I couldn't get past the reboot when windows copied the files over until I installed drivers through msi using nlite.

Once I installed the drivers it can go through the process of loading and installing and when it reboots it goes to the windows flag then bluescreens super fast, so fast I can't see the error.

I did happen to see other blue screens during the install process:

one was irq not less than or equal

other was a stop that was a bunch of 0's ending with like 7b or 7c.

I am pretty sure it has something to do with the chipset or the controller of the drive. I have tried multiple drives with the same issue.

• Just to isolate I pulled an old IDE drive I had and it installed just fine.
    Also anything above and equal to windows 7 installs fine (havent tried vista)
    Installed these drivers Current xp 32 bit drivers for p6n sli using nLite
    I am on the latest BIOS
    Installed windows xp from disk on different computer worked
    Transfer said disk to other computer and bluescreen
    chkdsk /r
    sure I am missing things I have tried.... This is a fresh install

I am about to throw in the towel and give up but I figured this would be my last resort

I have tried special drivers from fernando and his nforce4 with the same issues.

Are there any other settings I should be trying to find in bios? I have had xp installed before but I can't remember if it was on an IDE drive. I don't get why it goes through the install process if the drive can't be found later... Perhaps the drivers aren't being installed on the actual windows install and is just used for booting from windows install cd I created?

Solution
''The whole reason I am going back to xp is to see if a certain program is more stable. ''

I understand I still run a old xp and vista boxes just for them reasons like some programs or games may not work on 7 that I still use and enjoy today

it may just come down to you may have to use a old ide ribbon drive ? after a while you got to go with what works or just keep fooling with something that don't and get nowhere ..

good luck
''Windows XP. Windows XP does not provide drivers for all the SATA controllers, therefore, during the installation procedure, the user must insert a floppy with the drivers that came in the package along with the motherboard.''

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

if you read through this to the part of '' insert the SATA drivers within the installation package, you need to have it saved on the HDD. Hence, when the warning window appears click OK and select the destination folder for the files to be saved. Make sure that the destination partition / HDD has enough space to store the contents of the installation CD.''

you may can use a usb pendrive if its recognized and get the files needed from there near the same steps as with the floppy or as there sais about the the rest just point it to the pendrive /files ?

best I can do on that

Joe_123

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016

Thanks for the quick respons
I thought that was similar to what I did with using nLight. I basically included the drivers to boot...

In fact before I did this I could go only as far and loading windows file on disk and could never get to the install..

After adding drivers to the xp install I was then able to actually get to the installing windows screen... The issue after that is that it installs, but I cant get to the desktop, it just crashes.

I will try to rebuild once more (have created about 10 install disks this far) to see if it works, but I really doubt it.

is this a retail copy of xp from Microsoft or something you just downloaded ? don't know seeing you did say it fully installed and worked on the ide drive ? so then whats wrong with using the ide drive ?? today even with my sata drives I still set them in the bios for ide [have you tried that ? ] I don't use ahci at all with any of my platter drives ??

you cant install windows on another computer and just move ti to another computer its tied to the computers motherboard it was installed on ....

also just looking are these the drivers you try to add in the install ??

''System & Chipset Drivers ''

not the
''System & Chipset Drivers '' I think that's just for setting up raid

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/P6N_SLI_Platinum.html#down-driver&XP 32

been a long time since I had to fool with any of that - sorry

Joe_123

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
thanks again Junkey. The ide is one of two backups. The whole reason I am going back to xp is to see if a certain program is more stable.

The ide is a milestone since it has been such a pain to install xp. 3 sata drives and 3 ide drives later I have one success, granted that I think the two other ide were toast and one sata is a ssd.

The one I'm currently trust to insta on is a known good sata drive (in fact the other two are known to be good too because of the ability to do the install on other machines)

I will either revert back to seven or keep the ide dependent if I need the performance or not for this program.

I just used nlite again but instead of doing all the drivers I am using the one that literally says its for floppy

And to let you know my mobo doesn't even have an option in bios for ahci, so choosing other than ide and raid isn't possible.

I do remember years ago installing seven and it was a pain because of the bios, I think I could only get it to work with some legacy settings. Let me double check that and see if I can figure out what I did, but I will say it doesn't matter because I already tried load optimized before all of this with some mods as well.

''The whole reason I am going back to xp is to see if a certain program is more stable. ''

I understand I still run a old xp and vista boxes just for them reasons like some programs or games may not work on 7 that I still use and enjoy today

it may just come down to you may have to use a old ide ribbon drive ? after a while you got to go with what works or just keep fooling with something that don't and get nowhere ..

good luck

Solution

Joe_123

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
Yeah, I am at the end of the rope, I just tried nlite again but using the for floppy drivers.. no luck

IDE is like 20gb, but it is just going in the garage for a CNC so whatever. I will just try that out and if it sucks too bad I will just install 7 and try ts more of those issues, or just try and piece together a cheap build, but it has to have a parallel port for the cnc.

Thanks for all of your replies JM.

Joe_123

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
I was looking at a mobo memory cpu combo that is above par compared to my core2duo for 90 bucks. But I am a research freak so I will keep my eye out for other deals. I have spares of everything else that should work out. I may need a new powersupply as well, but I will have to check to see what power connectors are different.

I actually found an 80gb so I will use that, also have a seagate 500gb I will try later, but I think its busted along with the 250gb I have.

I have thought that I may have some hardware issues in general because of the frequent bluescreening, always seemed to be due to my graphics. I have 3 cards (nvidia) and after a while they all crash my pc on fresh installs with fresh drivers. I am starting to think It's probably just old hardware starting to fail (MOBO), The gtx 460 card I have doesn't have much use on it, and I can't imagine every nvidia card I have is bad. The chipset is nvidia as well so I would think they would play nicely. The graphics cards I have are in the same generation as the core2duo as well.

I tried a cheap amd graphics too and it was bsod on 7, and it also ran my cad software like crap.

Will test out the ide on xp and see if I get any bluescreens on the 80gb, if it works and performance is somewhat tolerable then I will just stick with that.

If that fails then its either back to 7 or just upgrading the mobo cpu and memory with some cheap stuff.... Again the cheap stuff of today is somewhat better than the core2duo e6300 1.8ghz processor I have, and it has better features (and probably compatibility with 7)

could be ? with that loder stuff anything could just be starting to fail maybe something with the controller or chipset ?

it maybe down to being able to just the best you can with what you got .. that board was a XP/vista era platform so xp compatibility should not be any issue overall...

Joe_123

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
Good news. Ran cnc for few hrs on xp with ide 40gb drive and no crashes. I think I will just use this setup until i am forced to upgrade. I'm sure not many people have a computer in their garage so this pos will do just fine.

In fact my ac wifi usb doesn't crash anymore. Just need some speakers now so I can jam out to some music :)