[SOLVED] Installation of an M.2 causing Mouse, keyboard and screen to not work?

May 9, 2022
Specs:
Z97-A-USB3.1 ASUS Motherboard
Intel Core i7 4790K
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc Version 2401 date 04/27/2015
Memory: DDR3 32GB (4 sticks)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

my BIOS looks identical to this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No-ct8pQcIg

Hi! I'm really stuck.
My 850 EVO Samsung SSD has died after 5ish years. (still works but freezes every few seconds. Pretty certain its the SSD)
I bought a: Crucial P2 CT1000P2SSD8 1 TB Internal SSD
  1. I've plugged it in.
  2. I've gone into my BIOS and selected:
A) M.2 mode under Advanced/Onboard device config > PCI Express X4_3 Slot
B) boot menu > CSM: disabled
C) boot menu > secure boot > OS Type: Other OS
D) Key Management > Clear Secure Boot Keys
  1. USB with Windows 10 install plugged in
  2. reboot into the USB to install windows 10 on the M.2
What happens next: The computer turns on, but all my USB devices and my screen no longer work.

I know that the USB works because when I boot from it with a reset BIOS, I can see it and my USB devices work again, it just won't detect the M.2 because it's not in M.2 mode. Any ideas?

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

In it's current state, does the SSD show up in the Devices list in BIOS? According to this link;
you have 3 BIOS updates pending. Gradually work your way to the latest version, as opposed to jumping to the latest version.

Where did you source the installer for your OS?

Lutfij

Titan

In it's current state, does the SSD show up in the Devices list in BIOS? According to this link;
you have 3 BIOS updates pending. Gradually work your way to the latest version, as opposed to jumping to the latest version.

Solution
May 9, 2022

Ahh thank you! I will try this. Although I have no idea how to update a BIOS - is it complicated?
I don't think, in it's current state, that the M.2 was showing. I am really confident though that it is plugged in correctly - was a perfect click and the screw lined up completely.
The The installer for my OS was from the official windows page/tool, saved onto a 52GB USB stick, plugged into the back of the PC.

Also thank you for the warm welcome to the forums. I had no idea Tom's Hardware existed and it's already been very helpful in getting to the point I'm in now.