Installation of WINDOW 7 with SDD OR HDD? HELP!

uncooltin

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Hello,

I'm really confused at the moment. I have a 1tb Barracuda HDD and a OCZ 4 Vertex 128Gb SSD.
My uncle has window 7 on CD which he will gladly install for me once I have craft my computer.

So the problem is the motherboard only gave me 2x SATA 3 cables.
One im assuming is for the OPTICAL DRIVE so i can install WINDOW 7.
and the SECOND one is for the HDD OR SSD.
So my question is do i install window 7 into my HDD or SSD?
or
Do i have to go and buy another SATA cable for my SSD? Because I'm planning on installing my window 7 into my HDD.

My HDD will contain things i don't need to load fast, such as music, movies, pictures and so on. And my SSD, im planning only to use it for my GAMES.

Any advice will be appreciated since this is my first time building a gaming computer.

Thankyou, Tin :)

Solution
You need another cable. You could get started by only having the optical and ssd drives connected, and after you've got that all setup properly then get the other cable and connect the mechanical drive.

You should install windows/programs/games to the ssd, and use the mech drive for further storage as you mentioned.

tomatthe

Distinguished
You need another cable. You could get started by only having the optical and ssd drives connected, and after you've got that all setup properly then get the other cable and connect the mechanical drive.

You should install windows/programs/games to the ssd, and use the mech drive for further storage as you mentioned.

Solution

uncooltin

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

So does this mean that i cannot put my steam into my SSD and my WINDOW 7 into my HDD?

uncooltin

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

Cant i get started with the Optical Drive and HDD first? And install window 7 into my HDD? And later buy a new SATA cable for my SSD? So i can put my steam folder and games into my SSD?

thankyou

William_White

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
I would reverse that, since if its only for a couple weeks you probably won't fill the ssd, and you want your, games/programs/windows/things you want quick access to, on your ssd and others on the hdd

tomatthe

Distinguished

You really want to have your operating system running on the ssd. You could put steam on the ssd, and games would load a bit quicker but people seem to fill up ssds with games pretty frequently. If you have a lot of games I would put the games on the hd, and just run windows from the ssd.

You could do what you said, but it's not really taking full advantage of the ssd if you OS is installed on it.