Installation problem, tried both bootable USB and DVD

obeliskk1

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
Greetings guys,

I've run into some issue. I had installed windows 10 32 bit (was upgraded from win 7 32 bit). Now i switched the CPU and add more RAM, and now i want to change it to 64 bit obviously.

I download the .iso file from windows site and make a bootable usb (via poweriso), and when i try to run it, it says "Disk error"

I am like ok, maybe it's the usb, i try second usb, same issue, then i tried making bootable usb with that tool windows provides, same issue.

I made sure everything is enabled in usb config, but it's old mobo so it woudn't really matter.

Then i tried to burn .iso on DVD since usb wasn't an option.
I put it first in boot priority and what it does, it just skips to HDD, like it's not even recognizing it, i even disabled HDD to make sure, and yea it didn't recognize the DVD.
The dvd driver is working since i managed to burn a dvd obviously, i finalize the disk, burn it as a IMAGE, and at slowest speed.

So can someone tell me what the hell is going on, i've never encountered this much issue about one simple installation.

Solution
Well, any hardware component can go bad in no time... and it could be any of them, so there's no certain way of telling which one is causing the installation issue. The "Disk error" message could be interpreted as the DVD disk (defective burning), the USB drive (identified as a Hard "Disk" Drive, issue when creating the installer), or the Hard disk itself (bad sectors, or general condition), data cable issue, RAM issue, a PSU issue, a motherboard issue, etc.,.. And the real cause can be the ISO image itself, or the DVD/USB creation tool. So, I'd suggest you try the created installer DVD/USB from Windows as I mentioned before... and repeat the process untill you get one to start the installer from Windows. This way you'll know if the...

obeliskk1

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016

Yea it's showing everything, i even tried to run installation from there, but it doesn't allow me because im crossing from 32bit to 64bit.

System specs; Windows 10 32 bit
4gb ram 800mhz
mobo: m2n68 am se
cpu: amd phenom x4 9650

obeliskk1

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016

Thats not my mobo, this is: https://www.asus.com/in/Motherboards/M2N68AM_SE/HelpDesk_Download/
And im on latest BIOS there.

You could try installing from the HDD to bypass USB and optical drive issues. You have the following options. You can start to test the created installer (Setup.exe in the DVD, USB or HDD partition) to test the installer before rebooting the computer.

1. Use a USB installer to create the Windows installer but instead of using a flash/pendrive use a HDD partition.
2. Or you can extract the Windows ISO files to another partition and use EasyBCD to make the partition bootable in dual boot...

1. Universal USB Installer Maker (this is just one program that can use a HDD partition to create a Windows installer but there are others)
http://www.qoncious.com/questions/how-make-windows-10-bootable-usb-using-universal-usb-installer

2. EasyBCD
http://www.qoncious.com/questions/how-make-windows-10-bootable-usb-using-universal-usb-installer
Instructions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw_EuTYAGLI
Another version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVv2LBu3GxQ

obeliskk1

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016

It's probably possible to do it this way, but i want to figure it out, why won't this work the normal way. I was performing install last year from win7 to win10 with 0 problem, and yet now suddenly this happens.

I tried searching google for solution, but no one has this problem.

Well, any hardware component can go bad in no time... and it could be any of them, so there's no certain way of telling which one is causing the installation issue. The "Disk error" message could be interpreted as the DVD disk (defective burning), the USB drive (identified as a Hard "Disk" Drive, issue when creating the installer), or the Hard disk itself (bad sectors, or general condition), data cable issue, RAM issue, a PSU issue, a motherboard issue, etc.,.. And the real cause can be the ISO image itself, or the DVD/USB creation tool. So, I'd suggest you try the created installer DVD/USB from Windows as I mentioned before... and repeat the process untill you get one to start the installer from Windows. This way you'll know if the cause is the software itself or your hardware, you may have to repeat the process several times and different Windows installer creation tools before you can get one to work.. and if Setup.exe runs successfully from Windows but not when booting from it, you'll know it's a hardware issue.

BTW: On your last line, I did have the problem, that's why I'm suggesting what to do about it. The cause was apparently software though I didn't get to identify the actual cause because my hardware is in top condition, so I suspect it was either the USB installer creation tool or the Windows ISO but the same software finally created a working installer... It may have been the way I did it, or if I used the computer while the process was running... I don't exactly know, except that it was software.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS