Installation problem with C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32AUTOEXEC.NT

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Ever since upgrading to Windows XP Home edition I have been unable to
install some of my older programs and games, because the installation is
interrupted by the following message:

'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
terminate the application.'

I can then select 'Close' or 'Ignore', but both ways the installation
closes.

Incidentally, I can find no such file in that folder, (and I do have 'show
hidden files and folders' and 'operating system files' enabled.)

Does anyone know a way around this? I'd be most grateful for any help.
Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Go Here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

"Ian M" <cde4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ever since upgrading to Windows XP Home edition I have been unable to
> install some of my older programs and games, because the installation is
> interrupted by the following message:
>
> 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
> running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
> terminate the application.'
>
> I can then select 'Close' or 'Ignore', but both ways the installation
> closes.
>
> Incidentally, I can find no such file in that folder, (and I do have 'show
> hidden files and folders' and 'operating system files' enabled.)
>
> Does anyone know a way around this? I'd be most grateful for any help.
> Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi

Please see if the following article helps:

"Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
program"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

--

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

"Ian M" <cde4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ever since upgrading to Windows XP Home edition I have been unable to
> install some of my older programs and games, because the installation is
> interrupted by the following message:
>
> 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
> running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
> terminate the application.'
>
> I can then select 'Close' or 'Ignore', but both ways the installation
> closes.
>
> Incidentally, I can find no such file in that folder, (and I do have 'show
> hidden files and folders' and 'operating system files' enabled.)
>
> Does anyone know a way around this? I'd be most grateful for any help.
> Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Many thanks Keith and Will. Problem solved. All it took was the creation of
an Autoexex.nt file as described in the article.

> Hi
>
> Please see if the following article helps:
>
> "Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
> program"
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
> "Ian M" <cde4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ever since upgrading to Windows XP Home edition I have been unable to
>> install some of my older programs and games, because the installation is
>> interrupted by the following message:
>>
>> 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
>> running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
>> terminate the application.'
>>
>> I can then select 'Close' or 'Ignore', but both ways the installation
>> closes.
>>
>> Incidentally, I can find no such file in that folder, (and I do have
>> 'show hidden files and folders' and 'operating system files' enabled.)
>>
>> Does anyone know a way around this? I'd be most grateful for any help.
>> Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You are Welcome
> Many thanks Keith and Will. Problem solved. All it took was the creation
> of an Autoexex.nt file as described in the article.

>> Hi
>>
>> Please see if the following article helps:
>>
>> "Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
>> Windows-based
>> program"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767
>>
>> --
>>

>> Will Denny
>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>
>> "Ian M" <cde4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Ever since upgrading to Windows XP Home edition I have been unable to
>>> install some of my older programs and games, because the installation is
>>> interrupted by the following message:
>>>
>>> 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
>>> running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
>>> terminate the application.'
>>>
>>> I can then select 'Close' or 'Ignore', but both ways the installation
>>> closes.
>>>
>>> Incidentally, I can find no such file in that folder, (and I do have
>>> 'show hidden files and folders' and 'operating system files' enabled.)
>>>
>>> Does anyone know a way around this? I'd be most grateful for any help.
>>> Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Glad that your problem is sorted.