Installation/Upgrade Question

Prodd

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Here's what I have:

Windows Vista 32bit Ultimate disk (not sure if it even came with a 64bit disk).

Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade with both 32 and 64bit disks (allows for upgrade from Vista).

Where I want to end up is having windows 7 Ultimate 64bit installed. Can anyone think of how I can do this with the disks I have, or what the cheapest way of getting it done would be?

Thanks!

Think if you have say, Home Premium installed, you could use the upgrade version, but if that doesn't work ie you can't upgrade ultimate to ultimate, you can get an installation disk off ebay which covers all versions provided you have a valid licence key. Although there are links available to download Win 7 I couldn't find one for Vista, unless someone else knows of one...
And I think I read somewhere the OEM licence won't allow you to install the 64 bit...

You can't do an inplace upgrade from 32bit to 64bit. It should let you start a clean install from in vista though and then completely wipe out the 32 bit OS. you need to choose "custom install"

You CAN do a normal clean install with upgrade disks. its perfectly legal. you own a previous ultimate edition, and its what I always do (not going to install XP to then install 7). You just don't enter a product key when prompted, and unchecked the "automatically activate windows" box. After the install you enter the key and activate it from in windows

TRENDING THREADS