Question Installation with SATA not IDE

May 19, 2022
The case is following. The system has two SATA disks and no one IDE. (I even don't see slots for IDE on the motherboard.) The installation of Windows does not start because it does not see any disk!

Installation of Ubuntu reportedly succeeds, but the system does not boot (I get black screen and no diagnostic messages). Actually I need Windows, anyway.

I installed Windows on similar systems after some trick, but I forgot which one.

Any idea what can help?

The case is following. The system has two SATA disks and no one IDE. (I even don't see slots for IDE on the motherboard.) The installation of Windows does not start because it does not see any disk!

Installation of Ubuntu reportedly succeeds, but the system does not boot (I get black screen and no diagnostic messages). Actually I need Windows, anyway.

I installed Windows on similar systems after some trick, but I forgot which one.

Any idea what can help?
Personally I would use the Gparted app that's included with Ubuntu to check the disks and ensure that they have GPT identifiers and that the space is totally unallocated with no partitions. The Windows installer will create all the partitions it needs. The installer also prefers that only 1 disk be connected at installation time; other disks can be connected after installation is complete. If problems continue there may be settings in your BIOS that need to be changed, e.g. Enabling Secure Boot and disk access being set to AHCI.

Last edited: