Installed 16GB (2x8GB) of RAM. Computer only recognizing 8GB.

Smarticus

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014
Ok, so like my title suggests, I installed: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory into my Z87 Pro Mobo. When I check PC Info, it only recognizes 8GB. I initially installed them in the 'gold' slots in my mobo per the instructions. Then I swapped positions, still 8GB. Then I put them in the 'black' slots, still 8GB. Then I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic, which ran but didnt show any report at the end. I am sure that they are installed correctly - they are both fully pushed and clamped in. Is there anything else this could be besides a faulty RAM stick? Any suggestions? Unfortunately, I no longer have the box they came in because system was running fine and I didnt notice it was only recognizing 8GB for about a week - so not sure I will be able to return them :/

Here is my system hardware: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Nre5

Here is a pic of inside my computer: http://i.imgur.com/X4dBr2x.jpg

Solution
I agree you need to check the sticks. If you installed them in both channels and it still only shows 8GB I am inclined to say that more than likely one stick is bad.

Try what getochkn stated but also try each stick individually and see ho that acts.
ok, then something is more wrong. Windows has nothing to do with it if the BIOS doesn't detect it, that's why I asked the question to rule out Windows.

First if it says it detects 8 gig in slot 1 and you have them slot 1 and 3 (or 2 and 4) and you're seeing the 8GB, then take out the chip from the slot it's detecting and see if it see's each chip as 8gb by itself.

Then try two slots next to each other. 1 black 1 gold and check the BIOS. It won't be dual channel but it will eliminate the problem.

I agree you need to check the sticks. If you installed them in both channels and it still only shows 8GB I am inclined to say that more than likely one stick is bad.

Try what getochkn stated but also try each stick individually and see ho that acts.

Solution

Smarticus

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014
Ok, yeah I originally had them in slots "A2" and "B2" per my mobo instructions. I tried slots "A1" and "B1" too and that didnt work. I will try what you suggest next, slots "A1" and "A2" (one black and one gold). Unfortunately, I have to run out for a few hours now, but I will check back to let you know how it went. Fingers crossed. Thanks.

Smarticus

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to post the final verdict. Looks like it's a bad RAM stick. Thanks you everyone for your help. Newegg has agreed to replace both sticks, which is awesome of them considering I tossed the packaging. So that's it. Thanks!