Installed 16GB dual RAM kit, only 2.99GB usable.

chancemitchell

Reputable
Aug 9, 2016
I originally had 3X2GB RAM installed and it only read 2.99 usable. I bought a new dual kit 2X8GB to eliminate the odds of a bad unit and also just to upgrade. (Even though that doesn't sound like the case according to all the other threads I've read) I installed the units and now my system reads 16 GBS in my system properties but still only 2.99 usable, I downloaded CPU-Z and it reads 16 gbs and 8 gbs per stick. In my system performance it shows my computer is maxing out those 3 GBs(Not 16). I read the manual for my motherboard and installed them based on that but tried another combination as well neither fixed the issue. In my BIOS it reads that the cards are being recognized in the slots I have them in.
I read a couple threads but haven't found a solution.
I checked the max memory box and it isn't checked, I tried setting it and restarting nothing. I am running windows 64. I have read a thread where a guy said he installed back to Windows 7 and the problem was fixed. Is this a OS problem? Has anyone come across a fix for this? I couldn't find anything in my BIOS to change based on what threads were recommending.

Thanks for reading,
Kind Regards.

Solution
In the end I ended up flashing my BIOS to the latest version. I ended up botching the flash somehow and making my SSD unbootable but I got it all figured out. My Computer now recognizes the 16GB under the newer BIOS.
Its a bug on Windows no displaying the full amount even though it is using the full amount installed.
Open System Configuration, select the Boot tab and click the Advance options... button.
Click Maximum memory: and make sure the full amount is displayed.
Click OK, Apply, OK and reboot.

After restarting check if the whole 16GB are shown, otherwise go back to
System Configuration, select the Boot tab and click the Advance options... button.
and this time remove the check from Maximum memory:
Click OK, Apply, OK and reboot.

What windows version is that? There's no such thing as windows 64.
Can you post screenshot from Control Panel/System ?

chancemitchell

Reputable
Aug 9, 2016

Apologies, I meant Windows 10 Home 64 bit. It says 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor. I can get a screenshot when I get home.

chancemitchell

Reputable
Aug 9, 2016

I did both of these steps. Neither time when checking under performance in my task manager was it showing more than 3 GBs or displaying more than 2.99 usable in my system.

chancemitchell

Reputable
Aug 9, 2016

The windows directory says 32? Does that mean I am on 32 bit?

chancemitchell

Reputable
Aug 9, 2016
My board is a x58a-gd45. It supports 8 gbs. I looked into my BIOS but couldn’t figure out what settings to switch or how to navigate to the appropriate setting. I looked around in there but the recommendations I was reading didn’t match up. Any idea what to change in this manufacturers bios?

chancemitchell

Reputable
Aug 9, 2016
In the end I ended up flashing my BIOS to the latest version. I ended up botching the flash somehow and making my SSD unbootable but I got it all figured out. My Computer now recognizes the 16GB under the newer BIOS.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS