[SOLVED] Installed 2 more ram sticks, now boots extremely slow and occasionally restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2020
having an interesting problem here... I installed 2 more 8gb ram sticks and now my boot times are extremely slow and at least once or twice per session (gaming, photoshop, premiere, web browsing, streaming video, web browsing with copious amounts of chrome tabs open/also doing one of the aforementioned activities (never had an issue with 16gb installed)) i will get a message from windows saying there's a problem and the computer needs to restart.

system info says i'm running the 11/7/19 bios version (can't remember the msi version designation and sys info doesn't tell me), there is a new version as of 12/22/20 that i didn't catch til just now. I can install that but i figured i'd wait for a response

Both bios and windows recognize 32GB of ram

I've tried XMP profile 2 DDR4-3200, I've tried running everything on auto (defaults to 2133MHz), still slow boot and occasional crash/restart (as described above)

NOTE: CPU was overclocked to 4.2GHz and there was a slight OC on graphics card, both were reverted before installation due to my fear of not knowing that one little detail that's going to make my computer blow up. Also, precision game boost in bios has been tested on and off, problem is still there. doubt that'd have anything to do with it, just trying to figure it out.

Ryzen 7 2700x (stock speed)
MSI B450 Tomahawk
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz
(Newly Installed same ram kit for 32GB total)
MSI 1660 ti Ventus OC
intel 660p 500gb (boot)
WD Blue 1TB (Sata SSD)
Seasonic 550W 80+ Bronze

i feel like i gave out more info than was needed but please let me know if you need anything else, and thank you in advance for all help and suggestions

Dec 30, 2020
yes that’s on auto, how much should I try to limit it by? Recommended for my boot drive is 4985MB (intel 660p 500GB M.2)
According to a quick google search windows recommends 1.5x to 3x the capacity of your ram for virtual memory so I set those parameters and haven’t had a problem since. Please let me know if I effed up, but I’ve played elder scrolls online, overwatch, and rogue company for about an hour and a half with YouTube continuously playing a video, 4 social media tabs open in chrome, discord open, and Spotify playing music, no crashes. So in theory it’s fixed!

Status
Not open for further replies.