Question Installed 3080ti w/ new 750W PSU-PC won't boot

Jul 26, 2021
Hello,

Having some sort of hardware issue with new install.

I installed a new EVGA Supernova 750w PSU, for the 3080ti that I just installed.

When I went to start up the PC, it won't boot at all, no post or anything. Press the power button, absolutely no action.

The Mobo visibly has power, I can see the built in RGB light up. And I cleared the CMOS, and have double checked the power cable seating.

Specs:

CPU: 3700x
Mobo: Asus B450-F
RAM: 32gbs Trident Z
HDD: 2x 2tb Seagate barracudas
SSD: 500gb Samsung
M.2: 1tb NVME Crucial
Cooling: 9x 120 fans/EVGA 240mm AIO

Other:
I am using a vertical GPU mount with a PCI-E riser, not sure if that would cause issues? The GPU looks properly seated.

Thanks in advance!

Jul 26, 2021
Interesting! Never experienced that before. But for reference I went from a Rosewill Photon 650w to a EVGA Supernova 750w.

What was the old psu? Even though the plugs are the same at the psu end they are often wired differently and are not interchangeable. Unfortunately if this is the problem there is a real risk of damage to any connected components.

Jul 26, 2021
Understood. I talked to my buddy who is an electrical engineer that works for Nvidia and he said the same thing about both using the cables that came with the PSU and dumping the riser. I have to rewire everything, but I'll post back if this fixes it or not.

Thank you for the advice.

Always use the cables that came with the power supply. If that don't work dump the riser.

USAFRet

Titan
So per a response from EVGA, the issue stems from high power draw CPU/GPU combo. The 3700x is rated for 65w, so it should be fine when paired with the 3080ti.

I'm goin to try using the cables it came with, and then try without the riser if that doesn't work. And if all else fails, try a dif PSU.
To be clear...you used the cables from the Rosewill, with the new EVGA?

It may be too late.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
FIXED!

It was the damn cables. I've been building rigs for over a decade, and maybe I just never ran into this. But I learned something new today.

Thank you so much.
As I said always use the new cables that makes it a no brainer although you can run into PSU cables that are the same pin out.

Like if you are using a seasonic PSU and switch to a new PSU that is actually just a rebrand from the seasonic (enter other brands) it could work but not really worth the chance just use the new cables can't go wrong that way.

EDIT I have you beat on building rigs by a good bit of years so no biggie just glad you did not fry anything enjoy your PC.:)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Pinouts for pcie, Sata, molex, 20+4, 4+4 are universal, as far as aftermarket goes. Those are the actual plug ends. What connects to the psu is irrelevant as far as pinout, pinout count etc, it's not a 8pin plug etc, it's just a connector that differentiates it as modular and not wired. So even if the psu connectors fit on changing the psu, there's exactly no guarantee that the actual pins line up with the correct sequence of wiring to make a pcie and not a eps or a hybrid mix-n-match.

This is why always use new cables that come with the psu, or cables made specifically for that psu, and not other psus. The wires don't line up correctly and you end up mixing voltage carrying conductors with grounds in the wrong sequence and putting 12v to ground directly through the gpu. Can be costly mistake when it smokes.

Jul 26, 2021
Also can confirm that the GA series of EVGA power supplies can't handle the 3080ti. I'm getting hard crashes while playing games.

All the trouble I went through to get the damn thing to boot, and the PSU is bunk anyways.

GA can't handle RTX 3000!

Reset motherboard bios.

And only use cables that came with the PSU.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Also can confirm that the GA series of EVGA power supplies can't handle the 3080ti. I'm getting hard crashes while playing games.

All the trouble I went through to get the damn thing to boot, and the PSU is bunk anyways.
That’s odd that the 750w EVGA can’t handle the 3080ti. I have a 750w Corsair that came with my HP Omen 30L and it handles an i9-10850K, RTX 3080, 32GB of DDR4 ram and a NVME with a 7200rpm HDD and RGB lighting with no problems. Maybe the 3080ti has a higher power draw than the 3080.

Jul 26, 2021
It's the GA specific line of PSUs from EVGA I guess. For whatever reason.

That’s odd that the 750w EVGA can’t handle the 3080ti. I have a 750w Corsair that came with my HP Omen 30L and it handles an i9-10850K, RTX 3080, 32GB of DDR4 ram and a NVME with a 7200rpm HDD and RGB lighting with no problems. Maybe the 3080ti has a higher power draw than the 3080.