Installed a 2nd hard drive on XP, but I can't install prog..

stew

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2004

Help. I've installed a 2nd hard drive (windows XP). Everything went
smoothly, however, when I was prompted to copy all files over to the
new drive, I opted not to do so, not realizing that would cause me to
not be able to install programs on that drive. Now my new drive is
just used for storing music, pictures and movies. Please tell me what
I'd need to do so I can install programs on that drive. Thanks

Hi,

During setup, use custom install and direct the installation folder to the
other drive.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Stew" <Wasiejah65@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Help. I've installed a 2nd hard drive (windows XP). Everything went
> smoothly, however, when I was prompted to copy all files over to the
> new drive, I opted not to do so, not realizing that would cause me to
> not be able to install programs on that drive. Now my new drive is
> just used for storing music, pictures and movies. Please tell me what
> I'd need to do so I can install programs on that drive. Thanks

Stew, most programs during the installation give you an option of which
drive you would like to install them to. So, what
programs are you trying to install that will not allow you that option?
"Stew" <Wasiejah65@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Help. I've installed a 2nd hard drive (windows XP). Everything went
> smoothly, however, when I was prompted to copy all files over to the
> new drive, I opted not to do so, not realizing that would cause me to
> not be able to install programs on that drive. Now my new drive is
> just used for storing music, pictures and movies. Please tell me what
> I'd need to do so I can install programs on that drive. Thanks

"Stew" <Wasiejah65@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Help. I've installed a 2nd hard drive (windows XP). Everything went
> smoothly, however, when I was prompted to copy all files over to the
> new drive, I opted not to do so, not realizing that would cause me to
> not be able to install programs on that drive. Now my new drive is
> just used for storing music, pictures and movies. Please tell me what
> I'd need to do so I can install programs on that drive. Thanks

Read the install routine as you install the program, don't keep pressing OK
buttons without reading what you are OKing- you are just accepting defaults
which means you are accepting installation onto the normal default C drive.
Choose the custom option, and choose the location.

stew

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2004

Rich,

Thanks for the reply. For whatever reason, any program I've tried to
instal only gives me the option for the original hard drive that came
with the system.

stew

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2004

Alan,

Thanks for the information. What do i need to do at this point to fix
it?

stew

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2004

Rick,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the only drive that I'm given
the option for is the original drive.