Question Installed a new CPU and GPU, and PC won't start up, will just switch on fans then turn off and on again repeatedly

Schmarbs523

Commendable
Oct 10, 2016
Hi,

Let me start by saying that I consider myself to be quite a novice as this is the first PC I’ve ever built three years ago and this is the first time I’ve tried to upgrade or had to troubleshoot anything.

For the last 3 years, I've been using an Intel Pentium G4400, and I recently decided to upgrade to an i3 6320 (not much of an upgrade, I know, but it fit my budget on EBay). My motherboard is a Gigabyte H170 Gaming 3. At the same time, I decided to upgrade my RX 460 to an RX 570. So I opened up my computer and replaced both components.

After installing the new processor and GPU, I started up the PC and nothing appeared on the screen, no BIOS, no nothing. I have illuminating fans in my PC, and they turned on and worked, as did all other fans including the heat sink on the CPU. The computer will slowly beep for about 20 seconds and then turn off again, then back on, then off again, and so forth. It will just repeat over and over with no startup or anything.

I’ve done a search on this and found a thread from a few years ago that recommended doing a CMOS reset. I’ve tried that (I think properly, but I can’t find any tutorials that make it easy for me to figure out if I’m doing it right) but it didn’t fix anything.

Is it a problem to replace two components at the same time? Should I have only replaced one component, booted the system, then replaced the second component?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

TRENDING THREADS