Question Installed a new cpu and now my computer won’t start

Jan 10, 2020
I just recently got a new cpu and after installing it my motherboard shows a red light and there’s no signal to my MOBO. I tried putting the old one back in but now that doesn’t work. I’ve also reseated the ram, took out the battery and put it back in, took everything out except cpu, reset the CMOS, and reapplied thermal paste

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core I-7 Unlocked 9th Gen
GPU: GeForce GTX (all I know)
MOBO: ASUS Prime Z370 A-2
PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ
RAM: Ballistic (all I know)

Last edited:
Try resetting the CMOS. You can do that usually by shorting across a jumper, or by taking the BIOS battery out of the motherboard when it is unplugged and pressing the power button to discharge the capacitors.

My guess for the reason you cannot use the new CPU is that your BIOS isn't updated to support the 9series CPU. You will have to download and install a BIOS update that allows for your new CPU.

Jan 10, 2020
Try resetting the CMOS. You can do that usually by shorting across a jumper, or by taking the BIOS battery out of the motherboard when it is unplugged and pressing the power button to discharge the capacitors.

My guess for the reason you cannot use the new CPU is that your BIOS isn't updated to support the 9series CPU. You will have to download and install a BIOS update that allows for your new CPU.
That’s the problem, I’ve tried resetting the cmos but it does nothing. So since I can’t get into my comp I can’t update the bios

Are you still getting the Red Light with the old CPU installed?

• POST State LEDs
The POST State LEDs provide the status of these key components during POST (Power-On Self-Test): CPU, memory modules, VGA card, and hard disk drives. If an error is found, the critical component’s LED stays lit up until the problem is solved.​
Boot (Yellow Green)​
VGA (White)​
DRAM (Yellow)​
CPU (Red)​
I​

Jan 10, 2020
Are you still getting the Red Light with the old CPU installed?

• POST State LEDs
The POST State LEDs provide the status of these key components during POST (Power-On Self-Test): CPU, memory modules, VGA card, and hard disk drives. If an error is found, the critical component’s LED stays lit up until the problem is solved.​
Boot (Yellow Green)​
VGA (White)​
DRAM (Yellow)​
CPU (Red)​
I​
Yes

Jan 10, 2020
Sometimes there is residue voltage in the board, it's rare but remove the battery, unplug the system and then try to turn it on... You may see a flash on the board LEDs as the residue voltage is discharged, also helps if you short the 2 pin CLRTC jumper before trying to power it on.

You can also sometimes get the system to fail safe by turning the system on and off shortly after the LED lights (I would unpower the HDD's to avoid damage to them) usually after 2-3 failed boots a board will try to fail safe.

Could also check the 8 pin CPU plugs to see if they got disconnected during the swap, both at the board and the Power supply. If you have another Power supply to try I would suggest that too as it's unlikely but may be a secondary failure

Jan 10, 2020
Sometimes there is residue voltage in the board, it's rare but remove the battery, unplug the system and then try to turn it on... You may see a flash on the board LEDs as the residue voltage is discharged, also helps if you short the 2 pin CLRTC jumper before trying to power it on.

You can also sometimes get the system to fail safe by turning the system on and off shortly after the LED lights (I would unpower the HDD's to avoid damage to them) usually after 2-3 failed boots a board will try to fail safe.

Could also check the 8 pin CPU plugs to see if they got disconnected during the swap, both at the board and the Power supply. If you have another Power supply to try I would suggest that too as it's unlikely but may be a secondary failure
Sadly I’ve tried all of those except the other power supply (very simply don’t have another one) as they didn’t work, I just recently got the red like fixed god knows how but my minister still won’t boot up and says no signal

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020
Sadly I’ve tried all of those except the other power supply (very simply don’t have another one) as they didn’t work, I just recently got the red like fixed god knows how but my minister still won’t boot up and says no signal

Sorry I didn't see exact details such as shorting the pins and powering while unplugged.... If you have an integrated GPU in your CPU your board may have defaulted to outputting video over the motherboards HDMI/DP/DVI ports.

Try powering your system on with the monitor connected to that instead of the VGA card, alternately if the card isn't installed install it and try to see if that gives you a signal back.

Jan 10, 2020
Sorry I didn't see exact details such as shorting the pins and powering while unplugged.... If you have an integrated GPU in your CPU your board may have defaulted to outputting video over the motherboards HDMI/DP/DVI ports.

Try powering your system on with the monitor connected to that instead of the VGA card, alternately if the card isn't installed install it and try to see if that gives you a signal back.
Didn’t work :/

Jan 14, 2020
Didn’t work :/
I'm going through the exact same scenario except i didn't replace my CPU, I just unseated it while I was replacing thermal paste under the heatsink and accidentally bent two pins on the edge very slightly. But I managed to get them straight with little effort and put everything back together smoothly. Everything's plugged in and I triple checked everything. Properly cleared the CMOS, removed and reinserted the battery, discharged the capacitors, checked the power supply obviously and still nothing. No mobo LEDs or anything. Does this mean the pins I bent were important ones related to the power supply or something?

Jan 10, 2020
I'm going through the exact same scenario except i didn't replace my CPU, I just unseated it while I was replacing thermal paste under the heatsink and accidentally bent two pins on the edge very slightly. But I managed to get them straight with little effort and put everything back together smoothly. Everything's plugged in and I triple checked everything. Properly cleared the CMOS, removed and reinserted the battery, discharged the capacitors, checked the power supply obviously and still nothing. No mobo LEDs or anything. Does this mean the pins I bent were important ones related to the power supply or something?
No clue, I actually had to rebuy my motherboard and then reinstall everything and it worked, though I broke my gpu in the process, and now I bought a new one and the cpu fan has a critical error apparently. Love life