[SOLVED] Installed a new CPU, and PC won't start up, no fans, no lights or anything.

Jun 3, 2020
I've been using an Intel Core i7-6700k ever since I started the build 2 years ago but I decided to upgrade recently to the i7-8700k. The motherboard I'm using is the Asus Maximus viii Hero and I checked it was compatible with the new processor however after switching them over, the power button now does nothing at all.

I looked around a bit and I've since updated my BIOS to the latest version and tried a CMOS reset, both to no avail.

I also tried switching back to the 6700k which still works fine.

Bit at a loss now, is it just a faulty processor or is there anything else I could try before contacting newegg for a replacement?

Thanks in advance for any answers or suggestions.

Solution
I've been using an Intel Core i7-6700k ever since I started the build 2 years ago but I decided to upgrade recently to the i7-8700k. The motherboard I'm using is the Asus Maximus viii Hero and I checked it was compatible with the new processor however after switching them over, the power button now does nothing at all.

I looked around a bit and I've since updated my BIOS to the latest version and tried a CMOS reset, both to no avail.

Bit at a loss now, is it just a faulty processor or is there anything else I could try before contacting newegg for a replacement?

There is a motherboard change between 6700k and...

There is a motherboard change between 6700k and 8700k. Unless you want to perform shaman dancing with bios modding etc, you need a 300 series motherboard for your new CPU (Preferably Z370 or Z390 to utilize faster DDR4), while your old one is Z170.

Solution