Question Installed a new graphics card and having network, driver, and physical issues with the PC

May 10, 2020
Hi,

I recently upgraded to a new graphics card (ASUS RoG Strix 2080 Super OC) after years of trying to justify the cost. I expected to encounter some issues but I'm beyond lost with all the problems leading to more problems.

1) Installed new GPU and got a black screen. Followed recommended steps by removing the GPU, connecting my monitor to my MOBO and running in Safe Mode then installing the GPU again. After multiple attempts of this, I realized my PC now only runs the GPU when its on its side, but gives me a black screen/failure to display anything when its standing up.

*To add to that, it continued to work when it was on its side and moved to a vertical position. But it would no longer display anything (monitor just continues to show an attempt to connect) when the PC is rebooted or started in the vertical position.​

2) My network connection is now non-existent. I get a dashed line under network status. Tells me that I have to turn on network discovery, but when I do and save changes, changes aren't actually saved. I don't know if there was a physical issue with my mobo wifi adapter when installing the card, but a cabled connection will be difficult as the router is quite far.

*I've tried to connect a USB Wifi-Adapter, but it is only recognized as a USB Storage Device, I've tried to provide the drivers using a USB (since I have no internet connection), but that hasn't worked either as linking the device to the drivers in Device Manager is not succesful.​
*sfc /scannow is not succesful.​
*DHCP / *DNS Client either not running or not starting when attempting to start them in 'services.msc'.​
3) Tried to install Nvidia drivers for the GPU after downloading them on another computer and moving them on a USB. But that failed as well mid-installation.

Seems like a lot of things are going wrong and every fix is leading to another unfixable problem. Would really appreciate some suggestions or help.

Thank you very much!

Build:

Power Supply: Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850W
Motherboard: ASRock Intel Z370 TAICHI
Graphics Card: ASUS RoG Strix 2080 Super OC
RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 2666
CPU: Intel 8th Gen Core i7-8700K

Ralston18

Titan
Does the new GPU sag when the computer is in the upright position?

By "sag" I mean does end farthest from the connection ports hang a bit lower or have some twist to it?

Are you sure that the GPU is fully seated into place?

As for the drivers: What website did you use as the download source?

May 10, 2020
Does the new GPU sag when the computer is in the upright position?

By "sag" I mean does end farthest from the connection ports hang a bit lower or have some twist to it?

Are you sure that the GPU is fully seated into place?

As for the drivers: What website did you use as the download source?
Thanks for your response. I tried my best to reduce the sag as much as possible. I tightened the screws well while lifting the GPU to get as much as I could.

There are two reasons why I don't believe sag is the issue:

1) The computer is running fine after being shifted from lying to vertical position, but only leads to no output once restarted.

2) I have been facing the same issue as #1 even when it is always in the lying position. (Will be working fine, but once restarted no output/black screen).

In both cases I will not have touched the computer between the run and reboot time.

I am more than certain the GPU is seated well. I don't know if screwing it tightly is what may cause it to move out of place since the holes don't line up perfectly and I have to push it in a bit to get the screw through (possibly creating some tension and pulling it out of place? But why would it work and then stop working up restarting).

I downloaded the VGA driver for the GPU directly from the ASUS website.