Installed a new Motherboard + CPU and now Windows doesn't run.

inmc55555

Reputable
May 6, 2015
I recently installed a new Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Motherboard with an Intel Core i5-4460 processor. The computer turns on fine, but once Windows starts to load up, it fails and starts over. I've tried googling the problem, but it doesn't entirely help.

Here's what's happening. I turn on the computer. I get to that black and white screen where the options are "Repair your computer" and "Start Windows normally." When I choose "Start Windows normally," it looks like Windows starts to boot up, but then everything goes black, and it brings me back to the screen I was just at. Choosing "Repair you computer" does not work either. No matter which backup I try to restore my computer to, I always end up at the same boot screen after I restart, so trying to repair the computer does not work. Windows will also not boot in safe mode.

After googling the problem, it looks like it has something to do with Windows not having the correct drivers for the motherboard. The solution that the internet gave me was to re-install Windows, but I do not want to do that, as all my files will be lost. However, I do have my old motherboard + CPU which should work with the drivers that are already installed on Windows.

So my question is this: Is there a way I can get my new motherboard + CPU to run Windows without losing any of my files? Provided that I have an extra motherboard in which Windows SHOULD run.

New Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H
New CPU: Intel Core i5-4460
Old Motherboard: The one that comes with a Dell Inspiron 580
Old CPU: It's an Intel i3, that's all I know about it.
GPU: MSI Radeon R7 260X
PSU: Corsair Builder Series 430W
Using Windows 7 (64 bit)

Solution
you cannot use current windows on new hardware as it has old software and hardware registered to it and cannot boot if they are incorrect. the only thing is to go back to your old specs and backup all the important files then install a fresh copy of windows other than that it will not work.
you cannot use current windows on new hardware as it has old software and hardware registered to it and cannot boot if they are incorrect. the only thing is to go back to your old specs and backup all the important files then install a fresh copy of windows other than that it will not work.

Solution